chapter twelve: the 'if'

__________
-UNKEPT-
PROMISES

It had been at least half hour since Valentina and Steve had been talking

It had been at least half hour since Valentina and Steve had been talking. About everything that has been happening for the past few years.

But right now, they were talking about the fact that Steve kept embarrassing himself last year at Scoops Ahoy!

"So the girl you were attempting to flirt with ended up having a boyfriend?"

Scratching his neck, Steve started blushing. "Her boyfriend walked in right when I was about to ask her out."

"And how'd that work out for you?"

Putting his head down in even more embarrassment, he replied, "He threatened to tell my manager to fire me."

Valentina started laughing, gaining Steve's attention.
"Sorry. It's just I didn't think that it'd be hard for you get a girl to go out with you."

Raising his eyebrows, Steve wondered, "Do you want to go out with me?"

She immediately stopped laughing.

"What? I thought I'd ask." Shrugging his shoulders in response.

Words started forming in Valentina's mind, not quite sure if she should share them. But she did anyway. "If you asked me that a while ago, I would've said yes."

"But?"

Pursing her lips, Valentina continued, "But, we didn't even talk to each other until a couple days ago. And when I think about it, you didn't even want to go out with me last summer either."

"What are you talking about?"

"Last year, that girl Trish you slept with, she asked you out for me, and then you said that you had something to do later on?"

The gears in Steve's head started turning, slowly stretching to remember. "Oh, that. Yeah, Dustin discovered that there was a Russian code and it was a whole thing. I ended up having a bruised eye for a while."

There was an uninterested look on Valentina's face.

"Right, look, the point is, I'm sorry, it's not like I could've told you about it."

Rolling her eyes, Valentina expressed a small smile. "It's fine."

Whenever a girl says, it's fine, they always mean the opposite. Something that Steve had learned the hard way. The words formed without him thinking. "Did you know I can sing?"