Three to one

"Mi amor, el autobús llegará pronto, (My love, the bus will be here soon.)" Itzel's mom, Satori, called up the stairs. Itzel groaned and rolled over in her bed. Her head was pounding and she could hardly see straight. She also couldn't miss the bus again or her mom would beat her ass for the first time in years. She groggily got out of bed and walked over to the bathroom. She jiggled the handle but it was locked. 

Beating on the door she yelled, "Open the fucking door, Valeria!" No response. Satori speaks only a little bit of English, so her children can get away with cursing. At least while their Tio Santiago is asleep. All three Perez children share one bathroom, which wasn't so bad when they were kids. But when they got older they all started needing to use it more. Whether it be long showers, doing their hair, or putting on makeup. 

"Open the door!" She yelled again. The door flung open and on the other side was her extremely annoyed older sister. Valeria rolled her eyes and stepped aside for Itzel to use the bathroom. 

"Are you really that impatient?" Valeria asked.  

"Are you gonna leave or do you want me to pee in front of you," Itzel said blankly. Valeria slammed the door and stormed out. Itzel laughed and went on with her business. She used the restroom, took five minutes to wash her hands because she kept falling asleep standing up,  brushed her teeth, fixed her hair, and was already halfway back to her room when her younger brother, Anthony, came barreling out of his room frantically. 

Technically they are only eleven months apart, Irish twins, so he's her younger brother but they are close like their twins. He nearly tripped over his jeans as he pushed past half-asleep Santiago to get to the bathroom. His pants were sagging, his t-shirt was hanging on his neck, and his hair was a train wreck. Looking out the window Itzel saw the bus from down the street stopping two houses down. 

"He's coming!" She yelled. Valeria was already out of high school but she chose to take a year off before college (that was two years ago). Anthony was in the grade below Itzel and neither of them could drive. Changing out of her pajamas she threw on a pair of bell bottoms and a muted maroon sweater. Grabbing her most essential makeup products and her backpack she made a b-line for the door. 

"¿Dónde está Antonio?" Satori asked. She had his bookbag in one hand and his paper bag lunch in the other. Anthony came barreling down the stairs. 

"Pull up your damn pants, you live in Point Place, not Brooklyn," Santiago yelled down the stairs.  Anthony pulled up his pants and grabbed his bag and his lunch from Satori. "Adios Ma," He said running out the door. The bus was pulling up in front of their house. "Te amo, Ma!" Itzel said as she ran out the door to the bus. Satori sighed and closed the door. 

The two Perez children stumbled onto the bus and walked towards their seats in the back. Anthony took a seat with his friends but Itzel stopped before she got to her seat at the very back. Hyde looked away from the window at her. She took a seat beside Anthony, three people to one seat. Anthony's friend, Marcus, looked over at the girl confused. 

"No offense to your sister or anything but it's kind of cramped with two of us even," He said leaning against the wall. Marcus and Anthony have been friends since they started school. His family is from Guadalajara, so his mom and Satori became friends as well quickly. "I can't sit with him," she muttered. 

"This again Itzel?" Anthony said annoyed. Last night she paced around Anthony's room talking about the hug. She even made him call Marcus and ask what it meant. Marcus leaned in and whispered, "Just go back there and act as if nothing happened."

"But something did happen," She said leaning in. 

"You guys," Anthony said. 

"Just do it, I can hardly breathe in the corner," Marcus complained. 

"He's coming over here," Anthony whispered.  Itzel sat up and acted like she had no idea what was happening. Marcus cleared his throat and turned to look out the window. Hyde didn't say anything. He grabbed Itzel's backpack and walked back to his seat in the back. She looked back and he placed her things on the side of the seat that would normally be hers. 

"Go!" Marcus whisper yelled. Itzel looked down at the makeup in her hand, her mirror is in that bag. "You sure?" She asked. "¡Ve a sentarte con él, maldita sea! (Go sit with him, dammit!)" Anthony said harshly. Itzel got up and walked to the back of the bus and took a seat beside Hyde. He knew the routine by now, she sat down and he held her mirror for her while she did her makeup on the bus. He pulled the small handheld mirror out of her bag and held it up waiting. 

"Sorry about yesterday," she apologized. Marcus groaned and slammed his head on the seat in front of him. Hyde laughed and looked out the window. "What are you sorry for?" he asked. She started to apply her makeup.  "I mean I know you don't like to be touched," She muttered trying to focus. "It's fine," He said blankly, "Not like it was Forman or someone else." She furrowed her brow. Was he implying that she was any different than their friends? She shook off the feeling and went back to applying mascara, she wasn't going to read into it. At least Anthony told her last night not to read into things like that anymore.