Homework

It's the second day of Itzel's grounding that has seemed to last forever. Standing by the door she waited for the bell to ring so she could go home. Seventh period is the only class she has alone. Advanced Calculus is not a class you would find most of her friends in. The entire class is silent, even during group work every just sits alone. Most of the kids are older than her too, that doesn't bother her as much as the fact that they all act smarter than her.  

The bell finally rang and Itzel was the first person out the door. She walked quickly down the hall so she was first on the bus. Hyde doesn't ride the bus in the afternoon so there's no one to scare people from sitting in their seats. The best seat on the bus. She walked up the steps onto the bus. She rushed down the aisle to her seat. Her Converse squeaked. She looked down at the large puddle of coke in the middle of the aisle.  "You have got to be kidding me," she muttered. 

Sighing she passed by one more row of seats and then sat down. Setting her bag down beside her she stared at her stained white Converse. Brown splotches covered the little red hearts. Her mom just bought them for her over the weekend too. She reached down and tried to rub out the stains but nothing worked. 

"Excuse me."

She looked up from her shoes. "Hyde?" she said full of confusion. Grabbing her bag she slid out of the seat. He sat down beside the window. Returning to her normal spot she looked at him funny. "What?" he asked. 

"Did Eric kick you out of the Cruiser?" she asked. 

"No." 

"Then why are you here?" 

"This bus takes me home doesn't it?" he commented sarcastically. The bus started to pull out of the lane.  "Whatever," she muttered. She pulled her thick English spiral notebook out.  She then placed it in Hydes' lap. She dug in her bookbag for a pencil. Pulling out a dull bright yellow pencil she smiled triumphantly.  She placed her bag on the floorboard and then took her notebook from Hyde. He sat there watching the whole course of events with a sour look. "Yes?" she asked. 

"What are you doing?" 

"Homework," she replied.  He rolled his eyes and pointed at the guy beside her. He grabbed her pencil and threw it at him. He was big. Tall and muscular. The kind of guy who could give Anthony an ass beating and come out unfazed. The angered boy turned around fuming. 

"Was that you?" He asked Itzel. She shook her head and looked down at her notebook. Hyde pointed at the guy in front of them. The guy beside her picked the pencil up and chucked it at the kid in front of her. He hit straight in the back of the head. Then the kid in front of her turned around fuming. Hyde thought it was funny. But Itzel was horrified. 

The two boys started to argue. When they both stood up it got worse. The guy in the back lunged first and accidentally knocked Itzel's notebook into the floor. "Shit," she shouted. She reached forward to grab the book. Hyde grabbed her by the waist and yanked her back. The other boy came out of his seat. He punched the huge guy in the jaw. The bigger guy stumbled back. Within seconds Hyde pulled Itzel on top of him stopping her from being hit. 

She froze. Hyde's grip tightened on her. They were maybe an inch apart. He smelled like coconut lip balm. Itzel furrowed her brow when she realized she had been looking for her coconut lip balm for the past two days. Asshole.  His thumbs broke the seal between her skin and her tight black top. She put her arms behind his head. His hazel eyes sort of put her in a trance. He leaned forward just slightly to shorten the gap between the two of them. 

"Hyde," she muttered. She has to get over him and this wasn't helping. He pulled away and looked out the window. She slid off of him into her seat. They didn't talk the rest of the bus ride. The didn't laugh when the fight got broken up and the bus driver gave both kids three weeks detention. He didn't say bye when it got to his stop. And they didn't talk in the morning the next day. Itzel cried the last two nights of her grounding. She was afraid she ruined their friendship.