Chapter 4-An Overly Dramatic Detour

A/N: Part 5 should take a bit longer than usual, gotta get through finals and all that good shit.

I don't own Pokémon. If I did, the Aipom line would have gotten the move Tail Slap from the beginning.

—————————————————————————

"Staraptor! Wing Attack!"

"Quick Attack! Then Echoed Voice!"

Like a furious comet, Starpator descended from the skies. The flying type raced towards your Pokémon, the nearby treetops rippling from the force released during the dive.

With a burst of white, Meloetta shot several feet backwards. The Pokémon then pulled in a breath of air to perform the follow up move.

Unfortunately for the mythical Pokémon, it would not get to complete the attack. Staraptor spun out of her dive in midair, and took with her all of her momentum. The senior Pokémon then drove a muscular wing into Meloetta's solar plexus, knocking the wind out of the psychic type.

Your Pokémon was thrown backwards across the ground with a weak yelp. Staraptor shot towards the skies one more, never once stopping her movement.

Even when it reached the peak of its path, it still circled far above the arena. Only the shadowy outline of the Pokémon was visible in the burning sunlight.

"A good attempt, but your movement patterns are predictable. Switch your strategy up, the same trick will not fool an experienced trainer twice," Inga called. Exploud stood at her side, his eyes shifting between the two Pokémon doing battle.

"Meloetta!" You yelled out. The Pokémon in question rose from the ground. It was bruised, but still far from out of the fight. "Use the nearby debris, and make a shield!"

"Me!" Nearby rocks about the size of your palm were suddenly surrounded in an eerie, purple light. "Lo-Ta!"Two dozen or so stones surrounded Meloetta, spinning around it like a miniaturized cyclone.

It's important to note that these stones are fundamentally different from the ones produced by a rock type move.

When a Pokémon uses a move, they infuse it with natural elemental energies corresponding to the type of the attack. Where these energies come from is a source of great scientific debate, but that was a topic for another time. In summary, these rocks would not be 'super effective' if used against Staraptor.

That doesn't mean they wouldn't still sting like hell.

Inga lifted an eyebrow. "Quick Attack!"

In one heartbeat, Staraptor began her dive.

During the next, she was already Upon Meloetta.

"P-Psybeam!" Your original intent was to use the rocks to temporarily hinder Staraptor, so that Meloetta had time to complete its attack.

It partly worked.

Meloetta managed to fire off its attack, but Staraptor broke through the improvised barrier with little resistance and sent Meloetta flying again. A particularly unfortunate tree was the victim of the Psybeam. The beam of purple light struck the nearby timber dead center.  At first, the tree appeared to be unharmed by the move. But the bark soon began to twist and bend, before it was suddenly blown to smithereens.

Psychic types were rather scary.

"Unfortunate. But at least we were closer that time." You had been trying for a while to get Meloetta to replicate that barrier it had used to shield you from its Hyper Voice, but you were ultimately unsuccessful. Rather than the unbreakable wall from back in the forest, Meloetta was only able to conjure a flimsy barrier that did little more than protect against weak  attacks. The shield resembled a rather rudimentary Light Screen, perhaps it could be refined into said move.