Chapter 13-Sets of Threes

I don't own Pokémon. If I did, defog would've never been an HM.

———————————————————————

You aren't quite sure what exactly wakes you up, but consciousness returns to you in gentle bursts, lifting you away from your dreamlike state. Your eyelids flutter open, and you raise a shaky hand to shield yourself from the fluorescent lights shining down from the ceiling of the room. You can hear voices in the background, all around you. They are far too distant to understand, but apparent nonetheless.

For a moment, you're lifted back to your childhood, listening to the voices of your family downstairs as you drift off to sleep.

After the lights, the next thing you notice is the tube attached to your arm. "An IV...where..." Your eyes snap open, and any sense of drowsiness is ripped from your aching body.

The memories do not come rushing back. They merely rise up from the pits of your soul, slowly and steadily, fighting through the dreary fog that clouded your unconscious mind.

The biting cold that nipped at your nerves, turning the sweat that coated your body into a sheet of ice.

The unyielding fear that twisted your spirit to its breaking point.

The pain that brought your frail mortality so close to your heart and mind, so close that you could almost taste it.

You gulped, gripping the railing on the side of the bed, just to make sure it was real. "Well, I'm alive, and in...some hospital." That was good news.

Speaking of good news, both of your Pokémon were with you, safe and presumably asleep. Larvesta had situated herself at the foot of your bed, her body pulsing with warmth alongside each shaky breath she took. Occasionally, the Pokémon rolled over, kicking at the air as she jerked in her sleep.

"She's having a nightmare." You raised an arm to reach out to her, but it felt like you were trying to drag the limb through invisible mud. Each movement felt like some Herculean task, one you certainly weren't up for now.

Meloetta leans on your other side, its face buried in your shoulder. "H-He-y." You call, but you can barely muster a whisper. Your mouth tasted like you'd just gargled saltwater, and then washed it down with a healthy serving of powdered chalk.

"H-Hey!" You call again, and the Pokémon begins to stir. Larvesta rolls over, her breaths stilling, freed from her nightmare. Meloetta raises its head first, red and puffy eyes meting yours-

"Lo?" The Pokémon asks, it's voice just as broken as yours was.

"Uh, I'm back." You answer.

"Me-Meloetta!" The psychic type's eyes begin to water.

Meloetta then buries its face in your shoulder, soaking through the hospital gown with newfound tears. Your other team member follows suit in her reawakening to consciousness."L-Lar?" The small bug glances around worriedly, and with a few shaky motions, you pull the two Pokémon into your chest.

Larvesta whimpered, and Meloetta continued to sob. "Sorry for the scare." You mutter, and for a moment, all is at peace in the world.

Then reality entered with the slamming of a door.

"I'm well aware. That's why-" The man in the white coat stops, momentarily dumbfounded by the scene in front of him. "Ah! You're awake! We saw your heart rate spike, and-" He shook his head. "The name's Dr. Blackburn. How are you feeling? Do you mind rating it on a scale of one to ten?" He asked, making his way towards your beside.