Chapter 10-The Ascension

I don't own Pokémon. If I did, there would've been more substance to Ultra Megalopolis.
———————————————————————

"T-Thank you so much!" The man bowed, a small smile forming on his weary face. "My daughter's been talking about your Pokémon nonstop since she saw it on Television." He patted the aforementioned girl on the head, rustling her messy brown hair. "Hayate...why don't you thank this nice young man for letting you take a picture with his Pokémon."

"Oh y-yeah. Thanks." The girl muttered, shuffling behind her Father's leg. "D-Do..." Her voice shook slightly as she gazed up at you through her choppy bangs. "D-Do you think that I would be able to catch a M-Meloetta someday?"

The burgeoning hope in her eyes burned like candlelight against the harsh reality of the world. "No...probably not." You were only one of two trainers in all of Unova that officially owned a Legendary, and that statistic was very unlikely to change anytime soon.

In the eyes of many, an honest response would have the been the greatest mercy you could have given her, but...you honestly didn't have it in you to crush her innocent dreams, and besides-

You had ended up inside of a fictional franchise, fighting with magical animals to save villages and become the mightiest in the land, or some shit. If you could cross the bridge between fantasy and reality, then who's to say there wasn't at least one more Meloetta waiting out there for a potential trainer. "Y-You know what, who's to say you can't?" You gave the man and his daughter a slight smile. "If you told me a year ago that I'd ever be fighting alongside a Legendary Pokémon, I would've probably shrugged it off as some sort of joke."

The girl's eyes widened, her breathing intensifying. "R-Really?"

"Really." You echoed, much more sure of yourself this time.

The Father gave you a grateful nod, though you were doubtful that he bought into your reassurance. The exhausted businessman tapped his daughter on the shoulder, signaling the end of your little meet and greet. "Let's get moving Hayate, I'm sure Mr. (l/n) has quite a few things to take care of before tonight."

"Ain't that the truth." You let out a silent sigh, grateful for the man's understanding.

"G-Good Luck Mister!" The young girl called as she and her father disappeared down the street. "G-Go and beat everybody up!" She squeaked out, frantically waving an arm at you and the curious Pokémon that floated above your shoulder.

Then they were gone, part of the river of people that streamed through the crowded city streets. "Me-Loooo..." Meloetta led out a little sigh as it dropped onto your shoulder, the Pokémon's hair falling over your chest.

"See, that wasn't too bad." You chuckled in response to Meloetta, making your way at a steady pace past the various storefronts, weaving through pedestrians. Your Pokémon's only response was a noncommittal hum.

"And hey, even if she does never catch a Meloetta, then at least she has a dream to motivate her." Sometimes lying was necessary for the sake of a childhood dream, sort of like what parents would tell their children with regards to Santa Claus-

"Wait...Holy Shit! It's already the new year. I-I can't believe I actually forgot about Christmas." You muttered. "I guess the whole holiday season really just escaped me..."

"Ta? Ta-Me-Lo?" Meloetta lifted its head from your shoulder, a look of intrigue on its face.

"Oh, yeah. I forgot that Christmas doesn't even exist here." Now, a similar tradition was celebrated in some parts of the world, mostly where Delibird were more prevalent. However, heavily commercialized holidays didn't really exist in Pokémon, with holidays mostly existing as minor festivals specific to each region. Besides, what the hell would Christmas even be called? Arceusmas? Pidgeotmas? (Glory to bird Jesus.) "It's like...I mean, there's like a tree, and people give out presents to one another. The Holiday would've passed when we were back in Hihidaruma." You struggled to find a way to explain the concept, especially when your thoughts were drowned out by the ambient noise of the Castelia streets.