Chapter 18-Cornered In the Open

I don't own Pokémon. If I did, then Ice would have more than one type resistance.

_______________________________

A fortress of infinite solitude.

An endless expanse beneath the scorching sands.

It was here that great heroes and warriors alike rose and fell.

For one to step into these halls meant that they were walking among legends.

"..."

_________________________________

Welcome to the Relic Castle!

You are at Entrance 9-6

Remember to stay along the Marked Path!

Enjoy the attraction with your eyes only

Thank You! Nacrene Society of History!

_________________________________

"Way to ruin the whole intense vibe we had going on." Upon entering the ruins, the first thing you were greeted with was a warning sign very obviously meant to deter any foolishness. Well, actually you were greeted with a whole lot of old rocks before the sign, but who really cared about that?

After all, old stones were not the most eye catching of things, unless you were a certain Hoenn champion.

"And I ain't champion material." Anyways, next to the board was a life size wooden cut out of a Cofagrigus, the purple paint meant to depict its ghostly body faded and worn. Its red eyes looked more tired than intimidating, like a substitute teacher who'd really just had it up to 'here' with the class's nonsense. The Pokémon was wagging a phantom finger, as if preemptively scolding any potential wrongdoers.

Speaking of doing wrong, you were about to trespass into the depths of a place where it was not only effectively illegal to do so, but was also definitely extremely dangerous. Combine that with the non negligible property damage you'd contributed to outside, and the intent of the sign was already dead on arrival.

"Lo-Me-Ta?" Meloetta raised an arm to poke your cheek, curious as to your reason for standing around and doing nothing. "Ta-Lo?" A fair concern, if you were being honest.

You scrunched up your face in confusion. "That's the problem. I spent so much time thinking about how we were supposed to get in here, that I have absolutely zero clue where we're even supposed to go now."

Well, obviously, you were supposed to go down.

However, that was easier said than done. Nothing had been a straight shot thus far, and you definitely didn't expect this to be any different. There was ample direction and signage towards some watered down tourist spots, but no grand staircase and red carpet for any potential tomb raiders or Pokémon thieves.

No apparent sand pits for you to fall in either.

In other words, you might as well have been rolling a dice for each path you decided to take.

"Though really, my odds might end up a tad better if I leave it up to chance. Maybe I should purchase a magic eight ball for my travels." You thought sarcastically, mindlessly wandering along the marked path in hopes of finding...something.