Chapter 6-Held Hostage

A/N: Thanks for everyone's support on this story! I don't think I've stressed it before, but it really does mean a lot to me.

I don't own Pokémon. If I did, I wouldn't have dropped Dark Void to 50% accuracy.

————————————————————————

"Well then Mr. (l/n)." The restaurant employee reached into his jacket, withdrawing a polished Premier Ball. "I'm ready when you are." Both of you stood in an otherwise occupied training room. The place was massive, and could have easily been repurposed into a ballroom if need be. The windows were draped with a fine red cloth, and several ornate chandeliers cast a dim glow over the area. Towards the center of the room, the floors had been lowered slightly to form a circular arena.

You nodded back at the man, and Meloetta stepped forward. Your Pokémon clenched its tiny fists, obviously eager for action.

"Dachsbun! Let us give them a five star experience!" A flash of light, and the opposing Pokémon took to the field. Instantly, the air was filled with a delightful aroma that made your stomach rumble. The Pokémon's flawless coat practically glowed even under the faint light of the room, and a substance that looked an awful lot like honey dropped from its mouth.

The employee then pulled out a miniature remote. With the click of a button, a circular dome of clear energy rose up from the ground and surrounded the pair of Pokémon. The source of the phenomenon was unknown to you, but you had seen similar barriers used in high levels of battling. Nearly invulnerable from the inside, the shields protected both trainers and spectators from the destruction high level Pokémon were capable of unleashing.

Though you suppose they were equally useful in indoor battles. "Your move." The employee gave a slight bow towards you.

"Meloetta, Sing!" A stream of beautiful notes flowed from the mouth of your Pokémon, and Dachsbun's knees immediately buckled.

To put it simply, sleep was a terrifying status effect. "Sleep" was no ordinary slumber, but rather a deep form of unconsciousness that left the afflicted Pokémon completely unresponsive to its surroundings. Thankfully, nature was kind enough to place limits on the status. Like any other technique, sleep inducing moves had to be trained. A more skilled Pokémon would not be only capable of inflicting a much longer sleep, but also a much deeper level of unresponsiveness. Likewise, weaker Pokémon were also much more susceptible to the status.

Furthermore, if a Pokémon could be jolted out of the effects of a sleep move before they fully took form, then they would be able to retain consciousness. Another sound based move, or a sudden jolt of pain could accomplish this. For example, recall the time you smacked your head off of the wall when Meloetta was trying to put Deino to sleep.

"Dachsbun! Howl, then Tackle!" The opposing trainer shouted. The fairy type let out a deep cry, immediately shaking itself back to its senses. A soon as Dachsbun's Howl was complete, the Pokémon's muscles bulged slightly as it prepared the follow up attack. You noticed that the Pokémon's movements were still a bit disoriented, but the Tackle that followed was no less powerful.

"Dodge with Quick Attack! Then Teeter Dance!" With a burst of speed, Meloetta spun towards the ceiling of the room. A moment later, it began to sway back and forth in a hypnotic fashion.

"A good plan, but it will not win you this battle ." Your opponent straightened his jacket . "Dachsbun, Misty Terrain!" Dachsbun touched its snout to the ground, and a storm of pink, glistening fog erupted across the floor. The mist snaked up the edges of the invisible barrier, transforming the center of the room into a rosy prison. The forms of the battling Pokémon were slightly obscured by the move, finer details hidden beneath the curtain of pink.