Chapter 14-Natural Disaster, Interpersonal Disaster

I don't own Pokémon. If I did, I would've given the Johto gym leaders more Johto native Pokémon.
———————————————————————

You were a strong believer in the concept of fair treatment for Pokémon. A.K.A: The general idea of not being a dick. Possessing such a virtue should've been an obvious benchmark for anybody with a penchant for success, but some trainers hadn't yet gotten that memo.

Regardless, a simple gift was, in your eyes, a great way to show respect and gratitude for your Pokémon. Of course, material things were far from the only thing necessary to foster a healthy relationship, but any expression of care was a step in the right direction.

For that reason, you were currently walking through Castelia's shopping district, eying up anything that could be of use to your current predicament. Meloetta and Larvesta were simple buys, predictable and easy to please. The former was content with a treat from the confectionery store, which had been happily devoured as soon as you had exited the doors of the shop. It was a great thing Pokémon burned off calories so quickly, otherwise all of those treats really would've started piling up by now.

For the group's youngest member, Larvesta had found a fluffy blanket she'd particularly liked. It had taken all of your strength to pry her away from the fabric in order to actually make the purchase, and the pleading look in her eyes as you tearfully pulled away her comfort would be yet another footnote in your catalog of bad memories.

So, what, might you ask, was the problem?

Well...should you have been keeping count, one Pokémon was still unaccounted for.

*Clang* Pawniard hissed in irritation, swinging out of frustration at the guard rail she'd just walked into. A fine gash now sat atop one of the metal bars, though you doubted anybody would care. Those railings looked even older than Inga. "And...that makes three..." You noted in your head. "What did those guardrails ever do to her?"

"Pawn...P-Pawniard!" The Pokémon hissed at nobody in particular, before storming back over to your side, refusing to meet your gaze.

"Me-Lo..." Meloetta covered its face, blushing deeply. The psychic type was obviously abashed at whatever the hell Pawniard had just said. That was surprising. Given how foul mouthed you could be, Pawniard had to have been going on quite the verbal tirade to embarrass the legendary Pokémon.

"PAWN!" The steel screeched, waving her arms in a motion that you presumed was supposed to be threatening, but ended up resembling an awkward dance more than anything.

"Hey...Don't sweat it." You waved your hands, trying to reassure the steel type. "I've had my fair share of unfortunate collisions too..."

Pawniard crossed her arms, huffing. At she had to self awareness to look a bit guilty. Really, her lack of depth perception was only part of the problem. "Case in point." Pawniard hissed at a passing Pansage, and the ever controversial salad monkey scrambled up its trainer's leg in fear, peering down curiously at Pawniard.

The steel type was a paranoid Pokémon, for reasons you could make an educated guess towards, but not fully understand. Living at the behest of that monstrous Bisharp was surely not good for one's mental state, especially if Pawniard had hated him enough to stab him in the throat at the first possible opportunity.

Thus, every shadow became a hiding place for potential enemies, an unknown that Pawniard couldn't let slide. Every passerby, from that old lady in a wheelchair, to that hapless Rattata chasing its own tail, became insurmountable foes in the eyes of Pawniard.

Of course, when one pays such close attention to lurking threats, they lose sight of everything else. Hence why Pawniard sported a few new dents in her metal helm. "P-awn!" The Pokémon nodded up at you, ushering you forwards with one of her bladed hands.