Chapter 9-"Living Legend"

I don't own Pokémon. If I did, trade evolutions would've never been a thing.
———————————————————————

Skyarrow Bridge.

One could almost see it as a type of barrier, an imaginary wall that separated the urban sprawl of central Unova from the wilds of the south. The verdant vegetation of Pinwheel Forest had long since bled out, giving way to the steel and concrete superstructures of the modern age. And much like any somewhat effective barrier, passing through it was no simple task.

A heavy gust of wind tumbled across the bridge, the massive metal framing of the overpass bending and twisting ever so slightly in response to the current of air. Meloetta let out a small cry, the force of the gale sending the psychic type tumbling backwards across the ground. "Careful Now!" You called, catching one of your Pokémon's hands with your own.

"Lo-Me-Ta." The psychic type pulled up its silk scarf in a vain attempt to hide its embarrassment. Although, Meloetta could have also been attempting to mask that pungent, metallic smell wafting through the area.

"No sense in turning back now, especially when we're almost there." You could see the tips of Castelia's mighty skyscrapers rising above the fog at the end of the bridge, the illuminated skyline a beacon of civilization amongst the otherwise desolate landscape.

There was virtually nobody else on the bridge, the frigid weather had seen to that. Though in the distance, you could see the outline of massive cargo ships traveling up the river and throughout the bay surrounding the city. The occasional blast of a horn was the only sound that interrupted the roaring of the wind. There were no nearby Pokémon cries, or even footsteps of fellow pedestrians. You were just as alone out here as you had been back in the woods near Hihidaruma. It was...kind of eerie actually. Even the outskirts of Unova's most populated city shouldn't have been this empty.

*clang* The distinct noise of metal being struck rang out from the side of the bridge, muffled only by the sound of the miniature hurricane that must've been sent down to spite you.

You opened your mouth to call out, though another wave of that foul odor forced you to close it. It was much stronger than before, to the point where you had to plug your nose to mask it.

*clang-clang* Two more bangs followed, the noises ringing out in quick succession, almost as if somebody was knocking.

"Lo-Meloetta?" Your Pokémon shot a nervous glance towards the source of the odd sound.

"I don't know." You muttered, pulling Meloetta into the warmth of your jacket. "What I do know is that we're not sticking around to find out this time." You then took off in a sprint towards Castelia's skyline, the metallic noises still echoing in the distance.

The bridge let off into a small boardwalk area, which was currently being battered by waves from the bay below. Anybody who strayed too close to the edge of a nearby pier would've been showered with a healthy dose of frigid water.

At the corner of the boardwalk sat a dingy looking wooden hut, a dull orange glow shining through the sole window of the building. "Uncle Huey's Story Shack:Visitors Welcome" was painted on the side in a set of yellow, faded letters. A crude drawing of a Milotic sat directly beneath, the Pokémon's once beautiful visage worn and faded. Right beside the building's rusted metal door, the severed head of a plastic Squirtle had been placed atop a wooden stake, providing a nice capstone to finish off the shady look of the building.

The crude decoration rattled as yet another gust of frigid air wafted through the air. Meloetta buried itself deeper into your jacket, protecting itself from the scathing wind. "Really sending the 'Welcome' message home there."