Chapter 12-Brought Down to Mortal

I don't own Pokémon. If I did, I would've given Unown an evolution or something.

Also, I apologize in advance.
——————————————————————

"The arena seems especially packed tonight, Huh?" Thousands of people had crowded the stands, chanting and hollering mountains of excessive jargon. You idly wondered what they were charging people for admission. "Probably something absurd." Vendors wandered up and down the stands, selling assorted treats to anybody who was willing to fork a day's worth or pay over (or those blessed with particularly demanding children).

"And on the opposing side, we have Iris Shaga of Opelucid city!" The chants only increased in volume as your opponent was lifted into the arena.

Iris waved excitedly to the crowd, obviously much more comfortable under the cameras than you were. "Though that's to be expected, given that she's also somewhat of a celebrity." The luster and prestige of gym sponsorships had been somewhat lost in recent times. This was mainly due to the fact that gyms had been handing out these sponsorships more frequently, as a way to combat Unova's stagnation in the strength of its trainers throughout the last decade or so. However, a gym trainer was still a gym trainer, and one who bore the blessing of Unova's best was by no means a pushover. Or so you'd been told. It wasn't like you had too much of a reference point.

"Without further ado..." The announcer shouted, drumming his hands on the table in front of him for dramatic effect. "Release your Pokémon!" It seems that the man wasn't keen on wasting any time tonight.

"I swear to god, If she pulls out a Haxorus, then I am going to lose it." Your face tightened in worry as you called Meloetta forth once again.

"Me-Ta-Lo!" The Pokémon sang as it sprung to its feet, it's movements dainty and refined.

"Druddigon!" Iris called, and the arena trembled as the massive Pokémon struck the ground.

"Well...at least it's not Haxorus." Druddigon stood north of six feet tall, and the Pokémon likely packed enough muscle to win Mr. Olympia twice over. Hell, it'd probably even have some to spare. The red armor that coated its head was almost rocklike in appearance, covered in dozens of jagged spikes. Its wings were like the leaves of a thistle plant, papery thin but razor sharp. Dozens more spikes ran along the length of its body, and...yeah, you were starting to sense a theme.

Combine all that with the predatory look in the Pokémon's eyes, and you likely had a candidate for the world's worst hug giver. "(y/n)!" Iris called, and you raised your gaze to meet hers. "I thought long and hard about our conversation, and in the end I decided it would be best to fight without regrets! Besides, you were tough enough to beat Marlon, so I figured I'd have to take you more seriously! Druddigon is my strongest Pokémon right now, so don't hold back!"

"Of course it is." You sighed to yourself. "Why couldn't it have been something nice, like...a Goomy?" Hell, you would've happily settled for one of the Fraxures. Those would have provided good experience for Meloetta, while also not being ten times its size.

"Well..." You spoke nervously, your voice amplified by the microphone atop your chest. Your eyes almost instinctively swung towards the ground, trying to avoid the girls expectant gaze. "He certainly looks tough, though I'm afraid I don't have too much experience with dragons..."

"That's right!" Iris giggled, grinning at her Pokémon "Isn't he adorable!"

"Drud." The rough and tough Pokémon had seemed quite pleased by your previous comment, but it seemed that good mood had now been detracted. The dragon scoffed, crossing his arms.