Love Business

Morning sunlight was diffusing through my window, warming my face, but also forcing my eyes to open. Silently smiling to myself, I was hit with a shot of dopamine; it was Saturday. I don't have to worry about alarms, assignments or angels; I can just relax all day. However, there was a couple of things that I actually wanted to do this weekend, not homework I can do that on the day it's due, but I want to go to a new café that has opened in town and I want to go to the library to see if I can find anymore information on angels and gods. I wasn't obsessed with Jeon or anything, but I was interested in the mythology behind it, and this is way more interesting than Calculus, Photosynthesis and Macbeth, so I'll take it.

After washing my face and brushing my teeth, I started to get ready. The clock in my room showed it was almost 11pm, it looked as though the clock was glaring at me in disappointment - like my parents do - as if I wasn't productive enough to get up earlier. I wore a chocolate brown jumper that had delicate white flowers imprinted on it and blue bootcut jeans; not really caring for my hair I loosely brushed it and kept it out. Finishing up, I packed a book to read on the bus, earphones and my phone for music and money for food; I sprayed a bit of perfume, put on my worn out sneakers and left the house a little after quarter past eleven.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stepping out of the bus, I started making my way to the new café. I've been wanting to go for a while now, but couldn't because of the...interesting events happening in my life. Spotting the café, I lightly upped my pace and when I finally reached the door I gently pushed it open. A bell, that was hung up on the door, rang, signalling that someone had entered the store. Sitting down in a cosy spot in the corner, I took a glance around and saw that it wasn't that busy, despite it being lunchtime on a Saturday.

The café was very minimalistic, the walls were painted a light sage colour, and even though I wasn't fond of the colour green, the sage colour was very pretty. Hanging on the walls were canvases with coffee quotes written on them, my favourite one being, 'Never trust anyone that doesn't drink coffee'. The tables were scattered around, they were dark brown in colour and already had stains of tea and coffee on them. Surrounding the tables were chairs, they were simple and the same colour as the tables. On the chairs were soft, small pillows, they were all different shades of brown. Around me, there were only two other customers, and at the counter there were two part-timers working.

Picking up the menu that was on the coffee table, I saw if there was anything that caught my fancy. After contemplating, as if this was the biggest decision in my life, I was ready to order. Excitedly, I made my way to the ordering counter, and a part-timer came to take my order, "Good Afternoon, what would you like?" he asked, "One iced mocha latte and one caramel croffle please!" I requested, barely being able to contain my excitement. Clearly noticing my uncontrollable excitement, the part-timer smiled a little. Embarrassment slowly made its way around my body, whilst I was mentally cursing myself for acting like a child. After my order was placed, the worker gave me the receipt and said that my order would be ready shortly, and I practically ran back to my seat and let out a sigh of frustration.

Twenty-two minutes later, the same worker gave me my order, one iced mocha latte and one caramel croffle, but there was something else on the tray, a tea and a sandwich. "Oh, I only ordered these", I protested pointing at the items I actually ordered. And, to that he, again, smiled and placed himself in the seat opposite to mine, "That's because the other two things are for me." the part-timer responded. I half-nodded and tried to mind my own business, even though I was wondering why all of a sudden this man was interested in sitting with me. Analysing the man's features, I noticed a couple of things, his hair was ash brown with unruly curls, his skin was slightly tanned with a generous amount of freckles sprinkled on them ,and he was a little taller than I was, so he must be within my age range, probably one or two years older than me; and the last thing I noticed was his name tag that was on his uniform, 'Dustin'.

"What's yours?" Dustin questioned out of nowhere, "Uhm, sorry, what's mine?" I answered, puzzled by the ambiguous question. Dustin, yet again, smiled and responded, "You were looking at my name tag, so now that you know my name, I was asking 'What's yours?'". "Oh, Anima." I returned, the conversation now making sense, and to that Dustin smiled again, gosh his smiling was starting to get a little annoying, it wasn't a bad smile, he actually had quite a nice smile, but it was the fact that he was smiling as if he was praising a child for answering a simple question; it felt as though I was miniscule against him. "Are you allowed to sit with customers during work hours?" I remarked, "No, but I'm on break, so as long as you want my company, I'm allowed to sit here." Dustin revealed. I was starting to get the feeling that he was trying to flirt with me, but I was unsure, (all I wanted to do was enjoy my food) I have been out of the love business for way too long to understand what was going on.

After a good half an hour of our odd conversation, I began packing my things up and told Dustin, "It was nice meeting you, I enjoyed the company", I was about to get up when Dustin replied with, "Was the meeting nice enough to get your number?"; this time I smiled, "If the gods or angels or whatever you believe in make us meet again, and the company is even better than today, you will get my number.", and with that I picked up my bag and left the café with confident strides. I was glad that I was able to come across as confident with that last remark, especially since it seemed like he was toying with me.