The Friend

My day has been very confusing and chaotic already.

I woke up late, due to the late night I had endured previously. I didn't get any pumpkin pastries at breakfast this morning. And overall, I'm pretty tired from hardly sleeping the previous night.

Groggily, I walk into my first class of the day: Transfiguration.

McGonagall, who I had last seen less than ten hours ago, was very peppy for some unusual reason.

"There will be new seats everyone!" She announced, gleefully, "New seats!"

We all stood up cautiously, a new tension thick in the air of the room as we await our new seating assignment. Sitting next to the right person is crucial for a class that can sometimes be very boring, and we were all silently panicking.

McGonagall revealed her wand from the sleeve of her robe and gave it a wave. A name tag appeared in front of every available seat in the classroom, each with one of our names on them.

We all went in search of our names almost immediately. There were shouts across the room, others saying they've found someone's seat, complaints of others not sitting by their friends, and loud squeals of joy for those who do. Every other seat was filled, and I was the last one standing.

"Ms. Abbott, your seat, please." McGonagall instructed, gesturing to the empty seat next to a Slytherin that I had not met before.

I walk myself over to the Slytherin boy, trying to stay calm with all of everyone's attention on me for being the last seated.

"Now.. Shall we begin?" McGonagall asked, more gleeful than before, "Dish wear!"

A groan arises from the students in the room, and we all open our textbooks to the chapter on dish wear.

"Very fun dish wear is, isn't it?" A voice sarcastically says.

I turn to face the voice, making eye contact with the Slytherin boy to my left. He has a gentle smile on his face, nothing underlying his attempt at cracking a joke.

I smile at his comment, "Definitely. Who knew spoons were so exciting!"

He chuckles at this, and clears his throat, "Blaise, Blaise Zabini." He offers his hand for a handshake greeting. I confidently accept his greeting, shaking his hand firmly, but happily.

"(Y/N) Abbott," I reply.

"Pleasure to meet you," Blaise says, "This'll be an interesting class now, I suppose, dish wear and all."

"Very much so, dish wear and all." I agree, giggling a bit.

Blaise and I had wonderful conversations throughout all of the class.

I made sure to take notes, of course.

Blaise was a very fun person, he told wonderful stories, and he really was smart. I have a favorite Slytherin now, I'd say. Transfiguration ended, and we walked to our next class together, continuing our conversation.

"What's it like.. being a Slytherin?" I ask, very curious to hear about what he may put up with.

"It's not as bad as you may fear, I have plenty of good friends, most misunderstood.. but good friends."

"Misunderstood?" I leaned in a little bit closer.

"Yes, a bit. My friend, he's truly a great guy, but others only see the shallow surface." Blaise admits, scratching the back of his head, "He is strong willed, caring, and very loyal to those he cares for. Everyone who judges him hasn't gotten to know the real him. He has a facade that's always put up for everyone."

I look at Blaise, surprised at how genuine and open he is. Truly a wonderful person.

"I don't know why I've told you all of that," he chuckles nervously.

"No no, it's okay, I understand. Putting up a front, yet also being a very good person, sounds like one of my friends too."

His eyes widen with curiosity, "I won't tell if you won't tell.. my friend would kill me if he knew what I had just said about him."

I giggle, "Promise I won't."

"Alright, you go first." He says, on the edge of his seat (figuratively because we're still walking to class).

"Hermione always wants to appear as the smartest among most others, a bossy know-it-all. Always wanting to be the one that can answer any question, but she loves to have fun and act a fool with me."

"Ah, Granger," he chuckles to himself, "I always thought she'd have a wild side."

"Your turn!" I giggle a bit loudly.

"I guess it is," he begins, clearing his throat, "Draco has always appeared, well, a bit dodgy, but he is truly a good person when he lets you in to get to know him."

I just stare a Blaise for a few seconds..

Then I crack.

I burst out laughing, knowing that could never be true. Blaise was a bit of a jokester after all.

"Why are you laughing?" He asks in full seriousness, "It's really true, y'know."

I stop laughing and blush in embarrassment.

"Sorry, my apologies, I just don't think I would ever strike Malfoy as.. a good person."

"That's fair, he is a bit harsh at times," Blaise sighs, "but he's good natured."

"Who knew?" I say to myself.

"Yeah, let's hurry, we'll be late for Potions.. and we don't want to open that can of worms."

Agreeing, I grab his wrist and sprint ahead, dragging him behind me all the way into Potions.