20-pretty

••••••••••••••••••••••

The 6 years old girl sat under the slide as she watched parents and their children laughing and playing around. She watched as her mom pushed her little sister on the swing, the smile on her face so wide and her mom's even wider. They were having fun together, she, totally forgotten. What had she done wrong?

She propped the hood back on her head as she buried her face in her knees, she sobbed quietly hoping no one would hear her, no one would notice her, no one would care.

She felt a presence in front of her as she slowly raised her head. It was the boy next door, she would always watch him and his little sister play in front of their house, she wished she had an older brother like him.

With no words, he halfed his chocolate bar and gave a part to her, she looked into his two-colored eyes, her eyes widened in surprise as he quickly looked away in an attempt to hide the green and brown eyes away from her, he didn't want to scare her away.

"Your eyes..." She whispered as she stared at him in amusement, eyes glistening with tears.

"I know...I'm a freak" he replied with a forced smile.

"They are pretty" she smiled back at him. She knew the word 'freak', she heard it everyday, she was called that everyday.

"You think my eyes are pretty?" His eyes widened in shock as if he didn't believe that.

"I think your eyes are pretty" she gave him a genuine smile to indicate that she really meant it.

He smiled.

He frowned.

"But all the other kids say I'm a freak and my eyes are stupid" he replied as he watched her eyes widen as soon as the chocolate bar came in contact with her taste buds.

She stopped chewing as she stared at the bar in her hand contemplating whether she could show him, maybe he wouldn't think she was a freak like the other kids too.

She slowly slipped off the hood, revealing her hair.

"You are pretty" he breathed out.

She searched his face for any sign of lie and uncertainty but there wasn't any.

He suddenly stood up and ran off, her heart racing at the thought that he had left her.

He suddenly emerged in front of her, dandelions,a few creeping thistles and a few weeds roughly in his hand, the dirt indicating he had just picked them "Just like these flowers..you're pretty"

She smiled.

She smiled at him.

He smiled.

he smiled back at her.

It was pure.

It was innocent.

It was genuine.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I propped the bucket hat on my head as I sat on my bed waiting for Sandro as he had promised to show me the garden today.

A knock on the door indicated he was here.

Yes, my door is back.

I swung the door open as I was met with his hand mid air probably about to knock the second time.