SOMETIMES BOYS CRY TOO

"That you, man?" John B revealed himself.

"No it's Pope." JJ sarcastically replied.

"Dude be careful. Something could fall on you." John B told him as JJ jumped from the house out to the side of the non-existent room.

"When did you get here?" JJ asked, worried on how long he had watched him wandering around the dead house sniffling to himself.

"I just got here. I saw your bike and figured you'd got to be somewhere around here." The brunette, wavy haired boy replied, grabbing JJ's hand to help him down.

"Oh. Right." JJ said slowly.

"How long have you been sat in there?" JB questioned.

"Um... I don't know. Like, 10 minutes?" JJ guessed.

"Right. Are you okay?" John B asked, politely concerned on why he was sat in a burnt down house staring into blank space for 10 minutes.

JJ stood in silence for a minute.

"Yeah. Yeah, I just felt like I needed to come here. I mean something didn't feel right. I was just sitting in my new huge ass kook house and I felt kind of..."

"Empty." JB finished his sentence for him.

"Exactly." JJ confirmed, almost confused.

"Same. I don't know whats wrong with me. I mean, we've got everything." John B echoed JJ's thoughts which made his feel less alone.

"Not everything." JJ spoke and then looked at John B and then looked at the chateau.

"I miss it too." John B sombrely stared at his old home.

"I mean everything just feels so different. Like we aren't the people we used to be. I miss when we used to just hang out and drink beers, smoke weed and listen to music so loud we'd get complaints and then Shoupe, Plumb or Peterkin would come over and yell at us. I miss when we used to go to the bone-yard and come back so wasted and Big John would have to carry us to bed and leave a bowl next to us with a glass of water." JJ reminisced about the past.

The two sat down in the grass over by the hammock.

"Remember when we had to climb up this tree as fast as frickin' possible so Rafe and Barry didn't find us." John B pointed to the tree above them.

"Yeah, I remember. That was the night we partied in the Cats Ass." JJ chuckled.

"That was the night you came home." JJ made intense eye contact with his best friend.

"Hmm. Yeah, it was." John B stared at JJ for a moment.

He then burst into tears.

JJ moved to his side as quick as lightning. He slung an arm around his shoulder and pulled him into the side of him.

"It's okay, bro." JJ wiped his tears.

"No, it's not. I'm so sorry that I left, JJ. And I'm so sorry that I went crazy about the gold and my dad and lost my goddamn mind. I wish we never went to the marsh that day. I wish you'd never done your stupid beer trick and we'd never hit that sandbar and found Scooters boat." John B apologised.

"Hey, hey now. If I'd never done my stupid, amazingly impressive beer trick, then you would have never been with Sarah now would you?" JJ smiled.

"Nah. I probably would've won her over from Topper sooner or later anyway." John B laughed.

"Oh sure, sure. And don't apologise for you losing it a bit over the gold and your dad." JJ paused as John B sniffled.

"You were right weren't you? I mean you had a feeling all that time that he was alive. And you had a feeling the gold had something to do with the compass. And you were right, John B. He was alive. And we found the gold. We found more than the gold. All because you never gave up on your dad. And you never had a single doubt in your mind about anything." JJ pulled him in tighter for a big squeeze.