I SEE MY REFLECTION IN YOUR EYES

"JJ!" Sarah calls out from the kitchen, holding a pan with 3 small pancakes cooked in it.

"Sarah!" JJ returns the yelling of her name.

The blonde girl rolls her eyes and pulls out a spatuala from the drawer.

"Syrup, chocolate or lemon juice and sugar?" Sarah asks him, a white towel wrapped around her body like a dress and hair in a blue tall towel which JJ keeps mocking and calling her different Disney or cartoon characters.

"Chocolate please, Marge." JJ responds in his low, rusty voice, slouched on the couch and lightly dabbing at the blood stained little patch on the cushion with a wipe and wet tissue.

"Shut up, Bart!" Sarah returned.

"Whoa. You're my mom now?" JJ joked.

Sarah flopped a pancake on a plate and grabbed the chocolate spread from the cupboard. She began spreading the chocolate onto the pancake and JJ watched, mouth watering as he could smell the sweet scent of pancakes and chocolate.

"Well of course, sweetie. Now make sure you don't miss your bus this morning because I'm not taking you. Now, here's your pancakes, son." She spoke in a motherly, Marge-Simpson-like voice and wandered over to JJ with his plate and some cutlery.

JJ laughed as she handed him his breakfast.

"This looks amazing, thanks mom." JJ smiled like a 10 year old as he tucked into his meal.

"You're welcome, honey. Wait let me check your head." Sarah sat besides him and rummaged her hands towards the bandaged up, bump at the back of his head. There was a small patch of red underneath the white plaster that went all around his head but he made sure his overgrown hair covered it so it was less visible.

"I think it's stopped bleeding now, luckily. But you still need to stay sitting okay? I don't want you to faint or anything if you get up." Sarah made JJ face her.

"Hmm. Fine by me." JJ said, mouth full with chocolaty pancake.

The boy felt slightly awkward with Sarah, in a towel, sitting this close to him. It felt strange. Of course he felt nothing for her but she was a girl in a towel sitting besides him. Without anything on underneath. He didn't mind when it was Kie, even before they were now together, but with Sarah he felt a weird uncomfortable atmosphere.

JJ assumes she picks up on this atmosphere as she stands up and serves up a pancake for herself. The shower switches off as they both notice the sudden silence of the water hitting the bathtub stop. JJ fiddles with his head bandage and Sarah flashes him a warning look to stop.

"But it's itchy." JJ complains as he itches around the edge of the white material.

"I don't care. You have to keep it on." Sarah pours herself a glass of orange juice after she has decorated her pancake with lemon juice and cute little sugar patterns that she sprinkled on with a sieve.

JJ groans and then stands up when the bathroom door opens slowly.

"I'm showering." JJ announces as he finishes up his pancake and brings it to the side of the kitchen sink.

"Good?" Sarah asks, turning her head over her shoulder to face him, phone in hand.

"Very good. Thanks, Sare." JJ pats her shoulder, gratefully, as he shortens her name down accidently with his North Carolina accent curling from his lips every time he says her name.

She giggles and JJ asks himself in his mind whether it was his accent coming through or the way he complimented her pancake-making skills.

"You alright, man?" JJ wanders towards his best friend who is strolling into his room, towel around his lower body and hair a dark, wet mess across his forehead.