CHAPTER 4

“Wake up, Lia

“Wake up, Lia.”

My escape was short-lived, as the gentle voice of my brother woke me up from my serene slumber. I didn't open my eyes– I didn't want to. I was terrified of him telling me that my time to stay here was over.

“Lia, wake up.”

My heart hammered against its cage, as if protesting to be let out.

“Are they here?” My meek voice was met with silence. For a moment, hollow emptiness took ahold of my heart, but suddenly a choked sob departed my lungs. One after another and then another, I don't know for how long I sobbed and I had no idea when my brother embraced me securely.

I just bawled like a baby, who's fallen down and hurt herself. Aiden– my big brother rubbed my back and whispered sweet nothings to me, which made me cry all the more.

“He’s not here, Lia. Not yet.” That didn't stop the continuous flow of my tears, my whiper to escape came out broken and lost, as Aiden clutched me more tightly.

“Let’s talk, Lia.”

The way he said that was peculiarly unnerving, so with fresh tears streaming down my cheeks I left his comforting warmth with a nod and sat down, eager to listen whatever he had to talk about.

“You have a mate, Lia. A mate– someone you're bonded to a–”  The concealed rage within me flared up at his words. My own brother was supporting a stranger who was the reason behind my exilation.

“Aiden, get out.” My voice came out sharper than intended, but he didn't move– not even a bit. He sat there with a tensed look on his face and resolution burning beneath his amber eyes.

“You’re blessed with a mate despite having countless flaws, Lia. I don't know why you're trying to fuck this up, but can't you just accept him like a normal person and be happy for once in your life, what the hell is wro–”

Countless flaws.

Normal people.

My big brother.

The bell rang before he could complete his sentence, and the annoyance masking his face evaporated, as a look of shame and regret dulled the resolution present on his face. He stood there breathing slowly, whereas I smiled for the last time.

I might hate you a little bit for this, Aiden.

“I’m sorry for upsetting you Aiden, but there ar–”

The door to my bedroom opened with a loud bang, cutting my apology short. Aiden’s eyes widened at whoever stood at the door, and he bowed his head. I guessed who it was by my brother's reaction.

“Get out.”

He spoke as if he owned my place. Aiden, with his head casted down went out without uttering a word. As soon as Aiden went out, the sound of lock resounded in the air.