CHAPTER 8

I woke to my terrorized heart beating like a warning siren before a calamitous war

I woke to my terrorized heart beating like a warning siren before a calamitous war. Clutching my aching heart I gasped in pain it was as if a knife was carving a sick art on my heart. I rammed my head against the soft pillows– again and again.

‘Bare and at my mercy.’

Suffocation throttled whatever space was left for me to breath. Breathing seemed like an unfeasible task, rather I was gasping for whatever air my lungs could acquire. There were no tears in my eyes, yet the world seemed like a blurry a mess.

The urge to scratch my dry throat to death and scream in agony at the same time was tempting, but I resisted. I couldn't risk people barging into this room only to find a naked woman throwing childlike tantrums.

Digging my nails into whatever place I could find on my body, I stifled the bubbling scream ready to shatter everything.

‘I'll hold you as my captive for the rest of our lives.’

Another strangling scream compressed the walls of my windpipe as I wheezed into the soft sheets. It's been a long time since I've abandoned my vulnerable self. I taught myself to be strong and powerful, only to cry in the bed of a commander labelled as a monster.

I was indestructible and bold, but a pair of dissimilar orbs had shaken my resolve without any possible catalyst. The rocky boldness in me had been numbed by the iciness of a man meant for nothing, but my hatred.

Holding my head out of those dead sheets I leisurely rested my back against the headboard. I was still naked– stark naked with nothing, but white sheets enveloping my quivering frame.

Perceiving the lack of clothes I pulled the sheets closer, hiding whatever I could. My knees were pressed against my chest while the quilt underneath me was now covering my frame from my shoulders to feet.

Closing my eyes I began recalling the days I avoided being alone in a room– I hated it. It was unbearable for me to be caged in a room where blank walls ridiculed me. The only time I used to enter my room was when I was high on liquor or tired to death.

I sniffed I wanted to be like that again. Get drunk to the point of oblivion or get tired to the point of death and sleep.

I just wanted to sleep again.

Sleep was my only consoler here only sleeping could make me breath normally and make me forget everything that wasn't necessary to remember, but it was far far away. The only thing my brain was constantly reminding me were his words and the solemnity of his face.

“Run, love. Run. But everytime you try to run away, just remember, that by the end of the day you'll be in my arms, just like this. Bare and at my mercy.”

I stared at him with glossy eyes and he stared back with his pupils dilated and jaw taut. Furious. He was furious. Like a rebel ready to go against anything he deems wrong.