Ch. 4: new faces

Hand in hand, Julie led you down the trail towards an unknown destination.
"You're going to love it here! Everyone's so nice and friendly. First, I'll introduce you to my best friend!" she smiled.

You were a bit nervous meeting all these new people, but with the way you were treated so far, you had nothing to worry about... right? Your thoughts were interrupted when you passed by a red house. The windows looked like eyes.

They were following you.

You felt a chill go up your spine as you passed the house. Was it alive? No way a house was alive and looking right at you. You were now a good distance away from the red house, which eased your racing thoughts.

Now, you were approaching a house that didn't look alive. It had a green roof and some plants on the outside. A few butterflies were flying around the area, and there was someone sitting in the grass looking down with their back towards you.

"Frank! I have someone I'd like you to meet!" Julie shouted as she got closer to them. The person sitting (who you just learned was named Frank) jumped at the sudden noise. A butterfly was seen flying up from the grass and away.

Frank stood and turned around with a frown on his face. "Julie, you just scared the butterfly away! I've been trying all week to get it to trust me, and now it's gone! It was a rare one, too..." he grumbled. His whole head started to spin, and his frown seemed to grow.

You stood there in shock. I mean, it's not every day you see someone's head do a whole 360. Then, you heard the sound of footsteps behind you. You turn your head and see a mailman walking towards Frank.

"Hey, hey, it's ok, Frank. The butterfly will be back soon. I'm sure they trust you already." the mailman said as he gently held Frank's head. It seemed to calm Frank down as his head slowed to a stop. "Yeah, I guess you're right," he whispered, "thanks."
"No problem, dear." the mailman softly spoke.

It was nice to see how much everyone looked after one another. "That's Eddie," Julie whispered in your ear, "he always knows how to calm Frank down." It sure looked like it. You could feel the care they had for each other just by being in their presence. "They're so perfect together." Julie sighed happily.

After that, Eddie started to look through his bag of mail, and Frank turned to Julie. It looks like he finally noticed you. He stared with a questioning look but said nothing. "Frank, this is (Y/N). They just arrived and are going to be staying in the neighborhood!" Julie said. "Hm, nice to meet you (Y/N)." Frank responded. You couldn't tell if he was in a bad mood or not, so you awkwardly agreed.

Eddie brought a letter out of his bag and went up to Frank to hand it to him. Frank took the letter and walked away to read it, while Eddie made his way in front of you.

"Sorry, I almost forgot to introduce myself. I'm Eddie Dear, and I'm the mailman around here. Just let me know if you need anything delivered!" he said with a smile. You returned the smile and introduced yourself as well. "Well, time to get back to work," Eddie said as he stretched, "I got a few more things to deliver before I'm done for the day."

Julie's eyes seemed to light up upon hearing that. "Hey, why don't you go along with Eddie? It'll be a good chance for you to meet some more neighbors," Julie suggested, "and I'll go work on your house in the meantime." You thought about it for a second before agreeing to it.

You turn to see Eddie fixing his hat and bag of mail. "Sounds good, just keep up with me!" Eddie exclaimed as he began to jog quickly to his next stop. "Wait up!" you shouted back as you ran after him. Frank came back to where Julie stood and looked at you running after Eddie. "What did I miss?" he asked. "Our new neighbor on their way to meet our friends." Julie smiled.