Ch. 14: chatting with Fran- what was that?

The sun shines down on your face from the bedroom window as you groan and cover your eyes with the letter in your hand. Letter? You quickly sit up but soon regret it after feeling the soreness from yesterday's running. You hoped this letter wasn't important or anything. If only you had read it before falling asleep.

You take a look at the envelope and notice some flowers and hearts drawn on it. Omg what if it was from a secret admirer? Your smile grew at the idea of catching someone's eye. Who would you even want it to be from? You weren't quite sure yet. Before you could think any more about it, you opened the envelope and pulled the letter out.

"Hello (Y/N)! I was watering my flowers the other day with Frank when I remembered the seeds I gave you. Then I got a wonderful idea! What if I helped you plant the seeds? Frank told me that you probably planted them already, but I don't think so. You don't look like the gardening type to me, but don't worry! If you already planted them, I could just give you some gardening tips instead! I'll stop by sometime this week (maybe in a day or two? or three!) to help you with the seeds. See you soon!
- Julie" you read aloud.

So it wasn't a secret admirer... that's alright, that's... okay. You haven't even been here for that long, so that was understandable. At least you got a letter. You usually only received letters from random companies, meaning to advertise. Nothing from people you know. This was a nice change.

You look over the letter again and gasp. "Wait, a day or two?? So...that's today? No, that's tomorrow. Or the day after tomorrow? It's too early to think..." you groan. What did you need for gardening? A small shovel and water, right? Well, you'll need the seeds too, and some dirt. Did you need gardening clothes too? Maybe you should ask Julie. You didn't want to bother Julie, though.

It would be better if you just got everything you needed and learned a few things about plants before she arrived. You didn't want to look stupid after all. You get an idea and look over the letter one more time.

Frank! Doesn't he know about gardening? He mentioned something about having a garden of his own. The tomatoes he gave you before made it clear that he knew what he was doing.

With that, you got ready as quickly as you could and made your way to Frank's house.

The walk to Frank's was peaceful. A few birds would fly by, as well as a butterfly or two. It was sunny and bright in the neighborhood. You walk up to Frank's house and knock on the door. "Over here!" someone shouts from behind the house.

You look around and slowly walk to the back of the house, where you see Frank kneeling in front of a small garden. This was perfect. He was LITERALLY in front of his garden. "Frank, I have something important to ask you." you said, walking and kneeling next to him.

Frank looks at you and turns back to his garden. "Ask away." he says, picking some vegetables and putting them in a nearby basket. "Well, I was wondering if you have any knowledge about plants that you could share with me? I don't want to look completely clueless when I hang out with Julie later."

"I see Julie was right then. You really aren't the gardening type." he snickered. You looked down in embarrassment for not knowing much about the subject. This doesn't go unnoticed by Frank, who clears his throat and switches the subject.

"You've come to the right place, neighbor." Frank says, standing up with the basket and walking to the front of the house. He stops and turns to you, with a confused look. "Um, you're supposed to follow me..." You quickly stand up and follow along. "Right. I knew that." you replied, sheepishly.

He opens the front door and leads you to a section of the house that looked like a mini library. It wasn't gigantic, but it was a good size. Frank sets the basket down and goes up to a bookshelf and starts browsing, silently murmuring. "Cookbooks...no...History books...not even close...hmmm.......AHA!"