Ch. 6: too much hairspray

Getting closer to the red house was nerve-wracking. IT LITERALLY HAD EYES. Perhaps it was a nice house? Everyone you've met so far has been nothing but nice, so why shouldn't this house be nice too? That idea seemed to calm you down a bit.

You walk closer and see something you didn't see before. Noticing someone at the door trying to get inside the house, you slowly walked up to them without drawing attention. This was probably Wally.

"Home, I already apologized. Please open the door." the person said. 'So the house is named Home?' you thought. You noticed the person had blue hair that made a swirl at the top of their head, and they were wearing multicolored pants and a blue top. You didn't know if you should interrupt, so you stood there wondering what to do.

Home's eyes looked directly at you as it creaked. "Hmm?" the person hummed before turning around. He had red splatters on him, which only made you more nervous. You both just stood there making eye contact for a few seconds before you cleared your throat.

"Hi, my name's (Y/N), and I was just going around introducing myself to everyone. Uhh, Barnaby said it'd be a good idea to come meet you. I'm also gonna be staying here for a bit, so yeahhh."

He stared for a few seconds before speaking. "How lovely! A new neighbor!" he smiled. "It's a pleasure to meet you
(Y/N). I'm Wally Darling, and this right here behind me is Home." he said, pointing with his thumb. You looked at Home and waved. Home creaked in response, which might have been a 'hi' or something. So far, the house seemed friendly. That's good. Turning back to Wally, you're reminded of something from a few seconds ago. The red splatters.

The red splatters on Wally worried you. It looked like small droplets of blood, but you didn't want to jump to conclusions. What if he was eating fries with ketchup? Maybe he was a messy eater..? It was a really stupid idea, but there was still a (very) small chance that that's what happened.

Wally seemed to notice your nervousness and followed your eyes to the splatters on him. "Oh, this? This is red paint I got on myself while painting in the forest. Silly me..." he said. "Painting? What were you painting?" you asked. "I'll show you in a bit if you'd like. First, I have to find a way to get inside. Home is a bit mad at me at the moment." he whispered.

"Home is mad at you? Why?" you whispered back. Wally sighed before speaking. "Well, I have this hair routine I follow every day that Home isn't too fond of. It involves...more than 1 can of hairspray." he paused before you nodded for him to continue. "I didn't know it bothered Home that much, so I followed my routine like usual. After I got back from painting, Home told me how they felt about the hairspray and then locked me out." he mumbled.

He must have been using a crazy amount of hairspray to be locked out right now. I mean, his hair was VERY nice and neat (not a strand out of place), so it wasn't hard to believe he used more than a can. Wally was lost in thought, thinking of solutions to this problem. The solution was pretty easy, though. "How about you use less hairspray from now on?" you suggested. "That's... not a bad idea." he agreed. It was surprising that he didn't even think of doing that until now.

He turned back to Home and clasped his hands together. "Home, I promise I won't use as much hairspray anymore. I'll limit it to 1 can a day. Or maybe half a can. I didn't know it bothered you so much. Please accept my apology."

Home stared at Wally with a look of uncertainty (somehow). Maybe Home was thinking? It only took 2 minutes of thinking before Home happily squeaked and opened the door.

"Thanks, Home! Hey neighbor, why don't you join me? There's something I'd like to talk to you about." Wally asked with a tone you couldn't quite place. You nodded and walked inside before Home closed the door behind the both of you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ruh roh