Ch. 13: chasing Eddie

tiny update: (skip if u want)
(I know it's been like a month, BUT HEAR ME OUT. My finals are over (since like 10 days ago), so I can focus on this story again. I was just busy with crazy life stuff, but I'm back! there's just a tiny chance that my device will be confiscated soon, but ignore that, I'll try to find a way to keep writing since I genuinely love working on this silly story for you all ♡)
(also spoiler alert: Eddie doesn't get run over in this chapter)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*chirp chirp chirp*

How was it morning already? It felt like you just laid down not too long ago. Is this how Howdy felt after working all day?

*chirp chirp chirp*

You groan and cover your face with a pillow.

*chirp chirp chirp*

"Alright, alright, I'm up!" you shout as you slam your hand over the alarm clock.

. . .

You forgot that you didn't even have an alarm clock in this house. The noise was coming from the birds outside, so you really just slammed your hand on the furniture next to your bed.
"OWWWW WHAT THE FU-"

☀️Time Skip☀️

After getting ready for the day and eating some breakfast, you open the front door and head out. It was a good day for a walk. You weren't really sure what else to do today, so this would have to do. Just then, Eddie appeared, jogging by with his bag of mail. On second thought, maybe you had an idea.

You call out to Eddie, and he turns his head to look. "Hey there, (Y/N)!" Eddie greeted. "Hi Eddie." you said, walking to him. "Would it be okay if I helped you deliver some mail?" Eddie laughed... until he realized you were serious.

"Wait. You're serious? I'm sorry, neighbor, but I don't want you getting hurt." Hurt? How would you get hurt delivering mail?
"Don't worry about me, I can handle anything!" you said, flexing your nonexistent muscles. You really wanted something to do today. Delivering mail would not only give you something to do, but it would also help Eddie finish quicker. It's a win-win situation for both of you.

Eddie seemed to think about it for a second, and then two, and then three. He really was thinking about it. You wait for his answer, fidgeting with your thumbs and hoping he'd say yes. You will literally die of boredom if you don't find something to do today (not really, but still).

After 50 hours, which was really only 20 seconds, Eddie smiled down at you and nodded. "Feel free to join me. Just make sure you can keep up!" he said, jogging away to continue with his deliveries. Will he really outrun you? Nahhhh. You quickly run to catch up with him. This will be easy.

THIS IS NOT EASY. EVERYTHING HURTS. Even after going to almost every neighbor's house, Eddie's stamina seemed to never run out, unlike yours. You were out of breath and struggled to bring one foot in front of the other. It felt like you were running in circles.

You haven't even helped him with any deliveries. It felt like you were just chasing after him the whole time. How many packages needed to be delivered?! Couldn't the neighbors deliver them themselves? THEY ALL LIVE ACROSS FROM EACHOTH-

*BAMM*

"(Y/N), ARE YOU OKAY?!" Eddie shouts out to you. He rushes to your side and picks you up off the ground. Your face was covered in dirt and small pebbles. Looks like you tripped on a rock. "Those pesky rocks always get in the way. You get used to it after a while, though, haha." he joked, trying to lift the mood.

It worked. You forgot about the pain and giggled as you wiped the dirt off your face. Maybe this is what he meant when he worried about you getting hurt. If he got used to the rocks over time, then this must have happened pretty often in the past.

"Well, at least we're done with the mail." he said. Hm? Done with the mail? Then why were we still running? As if he could sense your question, Eddie cleared his throat and explained himself. "Um, we actually finished delivering everything a little while ago. We've just been running circles around the neighborhood... sorry." he mumbled.

Your mouth falls open in surprise. He didn't say anything until now? Because of him, you were probably going to wake up sore tomorrow from all the running. You weren't mad, but you were going to get back at him somehow. You bring your arm up to cover your eyes as you dramatically turn away from him. "HOW COULD YOU??" you sighed dramatically.

"Wha- I- No! I didn't mean any harm! It was just fun having someone to run with! I usually deliver the mail by myself and-"
He was cut off when you giggled. You quickly compose yourself and pretend to cry. "Neighb- (Y/N)! Please don't cry! I- If you cry, then...then I'm gonna..." he sniffled. You look back and see that he's covering his face with his hands and appears to be crying. You might have taken it too far.

"Eddie! Oh no... I'm okay! See? I was just kidding..." you said in an attempt to calm him down.

He just kept sniffling with his face covered. This was bad. You felt guilty now. You only wanted to get back at him. It was all just harmless fun. You slowly sink to the ground and think about what you've done. You just made Eddie cry. He probably hated you now. What have you done...

"Hey.."

The whole neighborhood might start hating you too. You're gonna have to pack up and leave.

"(Y/N)."

Maybe you'll change your identity and go into hiding for good measure.

"(Y/N)!"

You look up and see Eddie kneeling down to your level, completely fine now.

"Hold on, Eddie, I'm busy regretting my actions. Wait. Eddie, you're okay! I'm sorry for making you cry! I was only-"

"Relax, there's no need to apologize." he said.

"But I made you cry.." you whispered.

Eddie tried keeping a straight face but failed and chuckled. "You didn't make me cry. I was acting! I have to thank Sally for that." he laughed. "Huh?! You mean.."

"At first, I believed you, but then I heard you giggling and knew you were only messing around. I just thought I'd play along." he smiled, offering his hand to help you up. So you got tricked TWICE. "I can't believe you tricked me two times in the same day." you said, standing up and facepalming. The both of you laugh and begin walking home.

The rest of the walk was filled with casual conversation and a joke here and there. He even gave you another stamp for your collection to cheer you up from the fall. Today was fun. Even if you got tricked two times, you still had fun hanging out with Eddie.

"Hey, sorry for not helping with the mail. I kind of just chased you around the whole time..." you mumbled. Eddie gave you a small smile. "Don't worry about it, (Y/N). I enjoyed your company. That's more than enough."

Once both of you reach your house, Eddie notices a letter at the bottom of his bag. "Hmm, guess I missed one..." he whispered to himself. He checks who it's for and hands it to you. "That's the last bit of mail. I'm done for the day." You take the letter and thank him for everything. He tips his hat and leaves as you turn to your house to retire for the day.

You yawn and fall into bed with the letter in your hand. Too tired from the running, the letter remains unopened as you drift off to sleep holding it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We just got a letter!
I wonder who it's from?