Ch. 10: more free shit

You slowly open your eyes as you're awoken by the sounds of birds chirping outside the window. Instead of shutting your eyes and laying in bed for another hour, you found the energy in yourself to get up. You weren't sure if it was this world affecting you or not, but you felt good about today. Energetic even. Not enough to run a whole marathon, but you get the point.

After getting up, you made the bed as best as you could and made your way to the closet. You find an outfit for the day and set it on the bed. "Time for a quick shower." you say to yourself as you grab a towel and walk towards the bathroom.

🫧time skip🫧

After a refreshing shower, you get dressed and head to the kitchen for breakfast. Opening the fridge, you stop and pause. Hmm, it's kind of hard to make breakfast when you don't have any ingredients. At least you have a bowl of fruit...

"Yeah, fruit isn't gonna get me full." you groan. Maybe you could pay Howdy a visit for some groceries.

*Knock Knock Knock*

How could someone be at your door this soon already? You weren't expecting anyone, so whoever was at the door was a mystery to you. You go and open the door to be greeted by a cheerful mailman who was holding several boxes (and he was struggling).

"Whoa, do you need help with those?!" you asked, staring at the mountain of mail. "No, no, it's fine. These - wow, this is heavy - these are for you." Eddie grunted as he slowly put each package down. You couldn't believe all that mail was for you. Hopefully, they weren't bills or something. Wait, bills don't come in boxes...

"Eddie, what's all this? This is a LOT of mail." you asked. "Well, every neighbor pitched in and got you a welcome gift!" Eddie smiled. "Really?! Wow, you guys didn't have to do all that. I appreciate it, though. Thank you." you said, taking every package inside and setting them on a table.

"No problem (Y/N)!" Eddie waved as he jogged away. You were about to close your front door until you heard a "Wait!"

You see Eddie running back to your door, tripping over a rock in the process, but regaining his balance. He takes out a book from his bag. "I almost forgot to give you this. It's my gift." he said as he handed you the book. You grabbed it and took a look at the inside. There was 1 stamp on the first page, while the rest of the book was full of empty slots. It was a stamp album.

"I didn't know if you had any hobbies of your own, so I wanted to share one of mine. See? I started it for you." Eddie said, pointing to the stamp on the first page. "It's a stamp from my own collection. I want you to have it."

You look up to see him smiling softly at you. "Thank you. I'll take good care of it." you said, returning his smile. He smiled even more as he stepped back to adjust his hat. "Don't mention it, neighbor! Anyways, these letters aren't going to deliver themselves. I'll see you soon!" he waved, jogging away.

You wave back and stand at your front door for a few more seconds before turning and walking to the table full of packages. You set the stamp album down and look at the gifts.

"More free shit. Why is everyone so kind?!" you asked aloud. You weren't mad, just confused. No one was that friendly where you were from. This place is different, though. A good kind of different. You felt a little bad receiving all these gifts without giving any in return. Maybe you could figure something out later.

You decide to pick the gifts at random and start opening them. The first is from Barnaby. You open the box and see a ball. It's pretty big, too. What kind of ball is it, though? An exercise ball or a ball to play with? You weren't sure, so you placed it aside and decided to ask Barnaby about it later.

Next gift! This one was from Frank. It was a book about all kinds of bugs and insects. There was also a basket of tomatoes in the box with a note attached. "In case you didn't know, vegetables are healthy and good for you. I picked these tomatoes fresh from my garden. Enjoy. -Frank" read the note. Straight to the point.

You look at the tomatoes and pick one up. It looked good enough to eat right then and there. You were considering just taking a big bite out of it before remembering the other gifts. You quickly put the tomatoes in the fridge and return to the table.

The next gift was from Howdy. He must have read your mind cause sitting in a grocery bag were some groceries. Now you could make some breakfast. Along with that were some candies and treats from his shop. You'd stop by to thank him later.

Time for the next gift. This reminded you of an unboxing video. You laughed to yourself as you continued opening presents.

This one was from Julie. It was a pot of dirt and a bag of seeds. The bag only had "from Julie :)" written on it. Looks like you had to plant the seeds to know what kind of plant she gave you. Maybe you could start a garden of your own.

While imagining a garden of your own filled with all kinds of flowers and things to eat, you smell something good. Your eyes land on a basket with a tag on it. "From Poppy" it reads. You lift the cover up and see some baked goods. Omg you were definitely gonna devour them all later.

Ok, only two more gifts are left. You open a box that was decorated with little stars. Inside were a few accessories like earrings and necklaces. There was also an acoustic megaphone with "DIRECTOR" labeled on it. You pick up a note at the bottom of the box. "I just thought these accessories would go great with the outfits Poppy and I gave you! If you're up for it, you can also be a director in the plays I put on for the neighborhood! Imagine what we could direct together. -Sally☆" you read. Directing a play sounded like a lot of fun, and you were looking forward to it. You had a few ideas to pitch to Sally.

Now, onto the final present. There were three things. A canvas, a small sign, and a tag. You pick up the canvas and try to hold back laughter when you see what's on it.

On the canvas is a full body portrait of you, holding an apple. You were floating in the clouds wearing clothes that looked very expensive and elegant. You loved it but couldn't help laughing at how the apple took away the serious tone of the portrait. It was just so random.

You set it aside with a smile and pick up the sign next. It's a simple "home sweet home" sign with a small drawing of your house on the bottom of it. It would make some nice decoration for your walls. You look at the tag and see writing on it. "I'm not sure what your favorite fruit is, so I picked an apple. Everyone likes apples. Home wanted to give you a gift too, so Home told me to get you that lovely little sign. I think it's just perfect. See you soon. -Wally" was written in crayon.

Speaking of perfect, everything WAS perfect. You could see yourself living happily here. It's a lively neighborhood where you could never be bored. You put each gift away and hung the portrait and sign up. The walls were a little less bare now.

*GrRrrrRRrrrrr*
Time to make something to eat. You grabbed some ingredients to put together a quick breakfast, grateful that Howdy gave you some groceries as a gift.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
small note:
I wanted to let yall know that updates will be slow for a while due to my finals coming up. I'll try to update consistently the best I could, but I'll most likely be slow.
I also didn't have much time to proofread this chapter, so it might have some spelling mistakes. sorry about that.