Ch. 11: the butterfly

Breakfast was delicious. Like, REALLY delicious. There had to be something in the food cause ain't no way it tasted that good. You just added that to your checklist of reasons to stay here forever. Getting up from the dining table, you wash your plate and then got ready to head out.

Opening the front door, you step out into the sunlight. It felt so peaceful, like a warm blanket. "GOOD MORNING
(Y/N)! WANNA HELP US?!"

You turn and see Julie holding a net. Frank is next to her, holding a net as well. They looked so goofy, standing like that with their nets. (them --> 🧍‍♀️🧍‍♂️) "Help with what?" you ask, walking over. "Well... I wanted to make it up to Frank for scaring away that butterfly the other day. SO WE'RE GONNA CATCH ANOTHER ONE!" she yelled. "A BETTER ONE!"

"SHHhh! Julie, all your yelling is going to scare THIS one away as well." Frank groaned. He looked concentrated on something on the ground. You and Julie both peek over his shoulders and see a butterfly. It wasn't that colorful, but it had a strange pattern on its wings that looked like eyes.

The atmosphere got tense as the three of you waited for the perfect moment. In the blink of an eye, Frank swings the net down, AND MISSES. Julie laughs and lunges forward, trying to catch it too. AND SHE MISSED AS WELL.

This is just too funny to watch. The two run around trying to get the butterfly in their nets, failing miserably. The butterfly starts flying in your direction and lands on your head. You stay still, afraid of scaring it away, until you hear footsteps making their way to you. You look and see Julie booking it to you at FULL SPEED MAXIMUM.

Forget about not scaring the butterfly. You don't wanna get trampled. "JULIE WAIT!!" you screamed, moving quickly and holding your hands out to protect yourself. Julie either didn't hear you or ignored you as she lifted the net up into the air and swung it down quickly.
.
.
.
WOOHOOO, SHE CAUGHT THE BUTTERFLY. She also caught your head. Oops.
To your surprise, it didn't hurt when she slammed the net down, so you just stood there with a net around your head.

"You caught it?!" Frank yelled with surprise, walking over. "I catch butterflies all the time! You rarely catch any! That doesn't make any sense!" Frank's head started spinning from confusion and shock as he tried stopping it.

Julie giggled and took the net off of your head, holding the part with the butterfly in it carefully. She walked over to Frank, who had managed to calm down, and held the net out to him.

Frank (who was still a bit dizzy) slowly took the net and walked to a patch of grass nearby that had a small bag on it. He opened the bag and took out a jar to put the butterfly in, and walked back to Julie and you to show the butterfly off.

Its wing pattern still had your attention.

"Wow...I've never seen this type of butterfly before. Thanks, Julie. Without you, I wouldn't have caught it." he said, smiling. "It was nothing! If it didn't land on (Y/N)'s head, I wouldn't have been able to catch it!" Julie said, pointing at you.

They both look at you as you smile at their sillyness. "Well, you're welcome for...standing? Haha." The three of you laugh and end up chatting for a while until Julie and Frank mention a sleepover coming up.

"It's going to be at Poppy's in about 2 weeks. Pajamas are a must, so don't forget them!" Frank said, waving his finger with each sentence. "Every neighbor is going to be there too! Hmm, maybe we can sing, or bake, or dance, or...OR HAVE A FASHION SHOW!" Julie squealed, causing you and Frank to jump a little.

"We'll just have to wait and see. Hey, do you think Poppy would like to see the butterfly we caught?" Frank asked. "I think she would. Let's go show her!" Julie giggled, skipping to Poppy's house. Frank waved bye and chased after Julie, as you stood there watching them leave.

With nothing else to do, you thought it would be best to go to Howdy's to get anything you might be missing at home. Maybe you'd even see another neighbor there with him. You turn and head towards Howdy's Place, thinking about your day. Thinking about the butterfly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
small note:
OMG I SPENT OVER TWO HOURS ON THAT STUPID BUTTERFLY DRAWING I couldn't figure out how to design its wings, like DAMN I was really struggling. it came out okay, I think? anyways, the school year is close to an end, so updates will still be slow as i focus on school (sorry). I also didn't proofread, it's like 1am and I ain't reading allat.
but don't worry! I have somewhat of an idea how I want the story to go. I got it all planned out already. sorta.
👁🦋👁