First Day

TW: PTSD and descriptions of self harm

Wednesday's POV:

Every step I take I can hear the roars get closer. I hide behind a tree peering over a branch. I'm out of breath from running but I try my hardest to stay quiet. I see Tyler in his hyde form searching for me. He is throwing logs and frantically running around. All of a sudden he hears something in a nearby bush.

"Wednesday!" A familiar voice calls out. Enid?

The hyde spins around charging at the defenseless wolf.

"Enid! No!" I run as fast as I can toward him. But I was too late... Enid gasps as Tyler stabs one of his claws through her gut. Blood trickles down her stomach, her eyes filled with fear. I stand about 10 feet away, frozen. Tears threatening to fall.

"Wednesday." Enid says, grasping for air. "Wednesday!"

I jolt up in my bed covered in sweat and breathing hard. I back up against my headboard holding my chest when I see Enid standing at my bedside, eyes filled with worry.

"Wednesday?" She said reaching her hand out, attempting to comfort me.

I shake my head and stand up, avoiding her touch. "I'm fine."

"You were screaming something in your sleep. Were you having a nightmare?"

"I'm not a little kid, I don't get scared from nightmares. I told you, I'm fine."

"Are you sure cause-"

I cut her off. "Enid! I'm fine."

She steps back a bit, startled by my voice. She nods defeatedly and walks back over to her side of the room. "So class starts today. What do you have first hour?"

"English." I say, grabbing my uniform.

"Me too. I guess we get to walk together every morning!"

I don't answer and walk to the bathroom to change, closing the door behind me. I grip the sink with my hands, letting my head fall between my shoulders.

"Why can't I just forget that night." I whisper to myself. I shake my head and begin taking my shirt off. I set it on the counter and look at myself in the mirror, staring at the cuts and scars lining my arms and stomach. I put on my white undershirt, carefully sliding my arms in, paying close attention not to rub the wounds. I put my blazer and skirt on before walking out of the bathroom. Enid was already dressed and was at her desk applying her makeup.

I sit on my bed to tie my shoes and look up at Enid. Her precision with her eye makeup is fascinating. Although I don't get the point of changing your features, her makeup matched her personality quite well with the bright pink and orange colors covering her eyelids and the light blush on her cheeks. She applies her lip-gloss, pursing her lips to rub it in before standing up.

"You ready?"

I nod and hang my bag on my shoulder.

We walk down the pathway to the school side by side. "So.. I heard Xavier got you a phone last semester."

"Yes he did."

"So are you two like together or..."

"No. Absolutely not."

"Oh. Why not? He clearly likes you and you seem to kinda like him."

"I don't like him. And for the 'why', well I guess I'm just not really ready for a relationship. I tried to let my guard down, I tried to let someone in, and that person betrayed me. So now I feel I have no choice but to trust no one."