Not again

TW: mentions of abuse, self harm, serious injuries, bone resets, blood, and angst 🤭

Wednesday's POV:

I stand in shock, eyes scanning over the fresh cuts and bruises. Blood was still dripping from a cut on their eyebrow while the rest had already dried, now crusted to their cheek and neck.

"Joanna?"

Tears are falling quickly and they struggle to breathe correctly. "I didn't know where else to go." Their voice cracks as they struggle to stand at the door. They stand in the doorway, begging for help, hand clenching their abdomen.

I don't even think, I go to grab them. Their legs collapse into my arms and sobs escape their lungs rapidly. They can't hold their weight anymore. I help them inside, sitting them down on the couch.

Rage fills my body. Rage for whoever did this to them. "What happened? Was this your father?"

They continue to cry as they nod. I grab the first aid kit from my desk and rush back over to them, quickly grabbing the gauze.

"Can I?" I ask, motioning to the cut just about their eye socket. They nod and I hold their chin up as I dab the wound. They flinch a little so I grab a better grip on their chin, still trying to be gentle. I scooch closer and get a better look at the bruise on their cheek.

"Was he drunk again?"

"He always is."

I glance down to their neck for just a second then do a double take. "Oh my god. Did he choke you?" I touch the red and purple hand marks around their throat.

They stay quiet which only confirms it. My anger builds but I beat it down. I don't have time for it right now, I need to take care of them. I study the marks and run my fingers over one of the finger prints.

"Joanna." I say quietly. "You can't stay there. Not with him."

"I have to." Their voice cracks. "I don't have anywhere else to go. And I'm not going into the foster care system again."

I look at them with sympathy in my eyes, something that I never show. "But, Joanna, mayb-"

"I won't go back there." They said firmer. "I'd get put in a shitty group home just like last time."

I sigh in defeat. "Okay, but you aren't going back there yet. I'll talk to Enid. If she's okay with it you can stay here." I place a piece of Steri-Strips over a wound on their cheek.

Joanna nods. "Okay." They move a little and wince, gently holding their arm.

With silent permission, I pull up their hoodie sleeve. They look away and shut her eyes tight when they see their arm clearly broken, not even in a straight line.

"I need to reset that." I say.

Joanna looks at me. "What? No... what? Do you have to? Won't that hurt?"

"Yes, it will hurt. I have to, though."

I set up their arm and give them a cloth to put in their mouth. They bite down and look away. I adjust myself and, with majority of my force, pull the bone back into place. The cloth muffles their screams. Tears stream down their cheeks as they weep.