Now we wait

Divina's POV:

I reach to Yoko and touch their arm.

Please be alive. Please. Please. Please.

Their eyes open slightly, and they look at me. I release a huge breath of relief. She winces a little when she moves. "Divina?"

"Yoko. Are you okay?"

"I-" Their eyes begin to close again.

"No, no, no. Yoko!"

Their eyes open again while mine are filling with tears.

She smiles. "Your eyes always reminded me of the ocean." Their eyes fall shut again but this time they don't open again. They stay closed.

"Yoko! No! Please." Tears pour from my eyes.

I try to climb closer to them, but I feel a sharp pain in my back. It shoots down my spine and I pass out. When I awake again, I'm in a stretcher, being wheeled into an ambulance.

"What is your name, ma'am?"

I try to look around to find Yoko, but the paramedic brings my eyes back to hers. "What is your name?"

"D- Divina Tommie."

"Okay Divina. Do you know what happened?"

"Yes, there was a car accident." I look around again. "Where's Yoko? There were three other people in the car. Where are they?"

"They are on route to the hospital. We will be right behind them."

"O- Okay. Is she okay?"

She doesn't look me in the eye. She stays silent, not answering my question.

"Please. Is she alive?"

"She was alive when she left the scene."

"But now? Is she alive now?"

"Just stay calm. You will be at the hospital soon."

Tears flow down my face. Please, Yoko. You have to be alive. You have to be. We were supposed to live in a cabin in the woods and grow old together. Please. Please be okay. I close my eyes, hoping to wake up from this nightmare but all I see are flashes of the crash replaying in my mind.

-------

I open my eyes to a room with only one nurse.

"You're awake." The nurse said warmly. "Good. How do you feel?" She continues her task of replacing the fluids hanging next to me while she talks to me.

"Fine." I say weakly. "Where's Yoko?"

"She's in surgery."

"Is she going to be okay?"

The nurse hesitates. "We are hopeful."

I sigh a little, seeing her grim face. "Where are the other two?"

"They are awake. They didn't have any severe injuries; they are only being kept overnight for observation."

"Okay." I look down at myself. I have so much pain meds in me I don't even know where I'm injured. "Am I hurt?"

"You had a broken arm and a small fracture in your back. With rest and physical therapy, you should make a full recovery."

"Thank you. Did anyone find my phone? It was in my pocket."

"Yes." She grabs my phone out of a bag on belongings.

"Thanks. Can I have visitors?"

"Yes. You already have a few people in your friend's room. Would you like me to tell them you are awake."