↳ 23

ARC II.
˳ 𓏲 ' ִ ︎︎ serendipity's meadow. ︎︎ .

Stepping foot in the Red Light District with the Sound Hashira, Inosuke, Zenitsu and Nezuko in tow was not what Tanjiro had in mind when he departed for this certain mission. While visiting the Butterfly Estate to get treated for their minor scrapes, the three chanced upon Uzui trying to take Aoi away for a mission. He stated that he needed a female member of the Demon Slayer Corps, and that since Aoi wasn't really doing anything, she would do. Obviously, Tanjiro and the others disagreed. Somehow, they managed to convince Uzui to let them go instead.

"This is a bad idea." Zenitsu murmurs next to him, cheeks flushed red as he discreetly avoided the women waving at him from the brothels. The people were continually waving at the group—Specifically, towards Uzui. Tanjiro merely hums, avoiding the sultry gazes, knowing that there were demonic presences here. That information was enough to sober him up despite the rather embarrassing situation. Tanjiro wonders how Hanako would react, if she was with them.

His hand drifted to the headband hanging from his hip, fingers gently tracing the unknown symbol. Again, that longing hit him at full speed. Hanako's death is still something Tanjiro hasn't moved on from, and he doubts he'll ever move on. With Hanako's grave not even containing anything due to the lack of a corpse, Tanjiro's grief hasn't even begun to sink in, yet. He wonders about the letter he found in her room the other day, the envelope left behind on his desk back at the Moon Estate. After this mission, he will have to read it.

"We'll be heading towards a place that I'm in contact with. There, I'll be explaining the details of the mission. Less eyes, less ears. I'm sure all of you know of it and why it's important?" Uzui turns his head around, striking lavender eyes meeting their gazes. The trio nodded their assent, sticking close to the tall and muscular Hashira. It would be hard to lose Uzui due to his towering stature, but they were in a demon territory. Separation could mean death, and death meant failure.

Oh, if only Tanjiro knew what he'd be getting himself into.

He pulled Inosuke back before the boar head could run away and cause havoc. Doing so meant letting Zenitsu out of sight. "Oh for Hinokami's sake— ZENITSU!" Tanjiro cries out, a hand on Inosuke's as he ran after Zenitsu, who was getting distracted by the numerous calls of many beautiful women. Uzui groaned, dragging a hand over his face, exasperation clear on his face. "Teenagers. Why did I agree again?" He murmurs, moving forward, a chill running down his spine all of a sudden.

Uzui goes still for a moment, the only indicator that he was bothered, before he moved, following the three closely. On the outside, his demeanor doesn't seem to have changed, retaining his joyful façade. Yet, in the inside, Uzui was already calculating the possibilities that it was the Upper Rank they were tasked to slay. His eyes quickly flicked from one place to another, trying to see if he could spot the one who was blatantly watching them. At times like this, Uzui envied the Tsugoku of the Butterfly Hashira whose eyesight was rather keen that she could pick out the smallest details.

Though Uzui suspected that it was the Upper Moon they were tasked to slay, It doesn't seem to be possible though, due to Tanjiro not saying anything. His sharp nose would surely have caught the pungent scent of a Upper Rank. The other two have sharp senses as well, both in hearing and in sensing a presence, it would be unlikely for them to not be alerted by the presence of an Upper Rank Demon.

So if it wasn't an Upper Rank watching them, then who? And if they knew who Uzui was, then why were they letting their watching be so obvious? Was it on purpose or was the watcher incompetent? Uzui guided the three to their destination, seemingly unbothered by the watcher, despite his growing unease at the obvious eyes on them.