↳ 07

"Do you know of the fate of Uchiha Chiasa?"

Mio stares as the Kakushi's brought down the deceased slayers from the mountain. Many lives were lost in the mountain, and Mio felt deep sorrow for those who died trying to defeat the demons here. Craning her head, Mio shuts her eyes as she softly sighs. Her head ached at the conversation she had with Kamado Tanjiro earlier. The truth of what happened five years ago was still fresh for her, even when so many years have passed.

It was not easy getting over a precious persons' death, after all.

Mio opens her eyes, staring at the moon that shone it's light on her. Ever since she was a little girl, Mio has always been drawn to the moon. She was absolutely in love with it and would spend her nights staring at the celestial body that provided light when it was night time. Mio loved the moon and it's stark beauty, even when stars surrounded it.

Until her family was killed by a figure that represented the moon she now loathed.

Mio hears the sounding footsteps of a Kakushi and she turns her head. He was carrying a boy with golden hair and and golden eyes. He was wrapped in bandages and it seemed like he shrunk. Probably because of that demons' venom, Mio thinks as she observed the sluggishly awake boy. Mio returns her stare at the moon, her eyes hardening ever so slightly. She could never look at it the same way ever again. With eyes full of admiration and innocence. Her eyes will never be like that again. She's lost too many people and failed too many.

Her eyes will never be innocent again.

Mio looks at Hanako who was standing beside Tanjiro. His arm was around her shoulder, easily heaving him up despite the way the redhead protested. Hanako looked relaxed, her face not possessing it's usual guarded stare. Her eyes were fond yet exasperated as she easily carried half of Tanjiro's weight. She also held the box where Kamado Nezuko was residing in.

Mio feels her heart clench when Hanako moved too swiftly and she caught the gaze of a deep and prominent scar on her inner thigh. A scar given to her by her Kunoichi life. Just like Mio, Hanako's eyes will never be innocent. Out of all the people Mio knew, Hanako was the person whose hands were bloodied the most. Ever since she was seven, her hands have already been stained with blood and her eyes cursed with the ability of her clan.

When Mio held Hanako three years ago as the girl sobbed, she promised herself she will help the young girl to the best of her ability. Strangely, Mio could see herself in Hanako. A young girl who lost her innocence way too early and a girl who was shackled by expectations. Mio wanted to help Hanako, get her back to the family she was born with and the village she swore to protect.

But as Hanako's lips quirked into a small but genuine smile, Mio's resolve starts breaking slowly.

From what Mio has observed during the years she spent with Hanako, the young girl was forced to grow up too quickly. She always spoke in a robotic tone, she didn't know how to smile genuinely and was always confused when people thanked her for helping them. She was awkward when it came to genuine social situations, her movements unsure and shaky. Hanako was too used to being a killing machine that she forgot how to be a human. She knew how to kill, the points in the body that will guarantee a painless or painful death, the right way to extract information using torture, the words to sway enemies to her side, how to seduce.