↳ 01

It was dark

It was dark.

All Hanako could see was darkness. There was no light shining over her. Hanako could vaguely make out the dimming lights as she sunk further and further in the deep ocean depths.

She felt heavy.

Like she possessed rocks and boulders with her. Her limbs felt like stone. She could not move. She could barely blink or see.

Is this the end for her?

Hanako shuts her eyes, feeling the familiar embrace of cold darkness. It's become something she was accustomed to. The dark and cold darkness that seemed to haunt her.

Hanako felt a strange acceptance come over her. It was time for her death.

It was time for her end to come.

Strangely, all Hanako felt was acceptance and relief. She will no longer be shackled by the expectations and pressure of her clan. No longer will she have to bloody her hands.

It was strange, Hanako muses as a wry smile tug on her lips. She was dragged further to the depths of the ocean.

I am only twelve years old and yet, I am dying.

Hanako could only let the ocean drag her further, and she knew no more.

Hanako's eyes snapped open when something clasped at her wrist and began to drag her up to the open. The darkness around her brightens, filling her dark and cold world with light. Hanako blearily gazes at the person who was trying to save her, and she sees a flash of pink and lime green.

Hanako was then woken up from her stupor; The sting of her grievous wounds made her slightly awake. Hanako gurgled, seeing blood come out of her mouth. She stares at her saviour as they swam even further, going nearer to the light.

Hanako squints her eyes, coughing loudly and heaving as she was pulled ashore. Her lungs felt like it was on fire, her muscles felt heavy and strained. Her eyes burned, and Hanako resisted the urge of her Sharingan to come to life.

She shakes her head slowly, raising her head to see two people.

One was a man; His hair was dark and pulled into a low ponytail. It was quite messy and it stuck up in different directions. His eyes were cold and sharp, ocean blue eyes assessing her.

The other one was her saviour.

Her hair was pink with lime green tips. Her eyes were green in shade, although it was lighter than her own friends', Sakura. She was dripping wet, but she still mustered up the strength to smile at her.

"My name is Kanroji Mio, and I am a Hashira of the Demon Slayer Corps."

Hanako stares at her pale hands, fading scars and callouses littering her hands. There were some scars on her arms too, training accidents and perhaps some lucky enemies. Her dark hair was pulled loose from its usual twin-tails and it hung over her face and eyes.