↳ 11

Tanjiro watches his own reflection by the pond, to his red hair and wine red eyes

Tanjiro watches his own reflection by the pond, to his red hair and wine red eyes. Softly, Tanjiro's hand reached up to hold his forehead. The night before, when his mind was plagued by his failure to protect his family, he went up to the roof. He was surprised to see Hanako, sitting on the edge with her legs swinging. Tanjiro took the time to admire her, her onyx eyes twinkling with lost innocence. Her hair glimmered in the night, lips curled in a soft smile as she watched the moon. Tanjiro felt like he was interrupting something precious, something Hanako only wanted for herself, when his nose caught it.

The scent of longing, of loss, of the longing to cry and wail.

Tanjiro couldn't help it. He couldn't just sit back and watch as Hanako destroys herself. So he climbed up, and he sat next to Hanako. Tanjiro watches, as soft whispers escaped Hanako's mouth. Secrets no one knew but she. Stories of her homeland, of her prodigious older brother and her hardworking younger twin brother. Hanako tells him, with twinkling blood red eyes, of the antics of a blonde boy who acted as her pillar. Whispers of secrets escaped her lips as she told him tales of her life.

Tanjiro listened to it all, taking in everything Hanako told him. He took in her soft smile, her genuine affection and the raw longing in her voice. He watches, as Hanako's tales turned to whispers and to murmurs, as her eyes slid shut and her head falls on his shoulder, exhausted but full. Tanjiro remembers smiling softly, carrying her as he brought her to her room.

Tanjiro's hand remained on his forehead, remembering how Hanako poked his forehead. A watery smile, a sign of intimacy for the young girl.

Tanjiro saw through Hanako's tough and cold act. He saw the girl inside, the girl who was willing to do anything for those she loved.

Even lose herself.

"Tanjiro."

The familiar voice made the boy turn his head, and his eyes meets Kanroji Mio's, someone Hanako would die for. A person who brought Hanako up and taught her the ways of being human.

Hanako's precious person.

"Mio-San!" Tanjiro greets the Hashira, his smile as bright as the sun. Mio smiles, soft yet solemn. "Come." She commands, and turns her back. Tanjiro wasted no time to follow the older woman, curious. They walked to her office, an imposing door with golden plates that housed the strongest Hashira to ever come out of the Corps. Mio opens the door and stepped in with Tanjiro following her.

Tanjiro looked around the mildly spacious room, eyes looking at the different files and documents stacked in the glass cabinets. Mio steps around her desk and settles down, gesturing Tanjiro to do the same. The redhead does as told, sitting down on the plush chair. "Tanjiro. It has come to my attention that you have been getting closer with Hanako, right?" Mio murmurs, piercing green eyes staring right onto Tanjiro's.

The redhead nodded, suddenly nervous at the intimidating stare. Mio stares at him, before she leans back. Mio's lips quirked into a humorless smile, her eyes turning dead.