↳12

Where did it all go wrong?

Zenitsu gurgles, his eyes hazy. His eyesight was blurry, and he could vaguely make out Tanjiro screaming for him as he fought against their opponent. Inosuke was already down, taking a hit that was meant for Kanao. They both knew that their only hope was Tanjiro and Kanao, slayers who were powerful. It was an unspoken agreement.

It was why Zenitsu jumped in front of Tanjiro, taking in a blast that ruptured his inner organs.

Wasn't it supposed to be an easy mission? They were only to eradicate a small number of demons by the South. Nothing too difficult for slayers like them who have gone through hell and back.

So why was Upper Moon One here?

Zenitsu shuts his eyes, breathing heavily.

It started when they stepped in to the village. It was already suspicious, because there was no soul in sight. But they were overconfident, as their enemy told them. Upper Moon One stepped out of the shadows, regal and unyielding.

Invincible.

Now they were stuck here. Dying, all because the four of them were too confident. Too naive. Zenitsu lets out a gurgled chuckle, blood spilling on the ground. He remembers Hanako's first lesson to them.

"Never underestimate your enemy."

"ZENITSU!" Tanjiro's angered cries rang in Zenitsu's ears, and he looks up weakly. His friend, beaten and bloody, was crying. Blood dripped from his forehead, covering his birth mark. He was scratched multiple times, blood seeping into his torn uniform. "DON'T GIVE UP! ZENITSU!" Tanjiro cries, but he was forced to leap as Upper Moon slashed at him. Kanao came from the side, haori and skirt torn.

Zenitsu struggles to sit up, gasping in pain as black spots danced in his vision. He tried to breathe, but he only spluttered blood as he fell on his elbows. He couldn't stand up. The pain was too much. He couldn't breathe. Blood was everywhere and only his hearing was helping him get a grasp of the battle. Tanjiro and Kanao wouldn't hold up much longer. They weren't strong enough to fight Upper Moon One off. They barely survived Lower Moon Five for crying out loud!

Zenitsu lifted his head, and it seems like he was cursed.

Because the moment he lifted his head, he saw Tanjiro getting impaled in the heart.

His jaw fell, time stopping as he sees Tanjiro splutter, blood trailing down his chin. It dripped on the floor, coating the dusty ground with his blood. Zenitsu could vaguely hear Kanao's scream of anguish, but he focused on Tanjiro's sound. His heart was slowly beating, and for a few moments, it will stop.

Signifying his death.

"T-Tanjiro...!" Zenitsu gasped as he fell, watching as Upper Moon One throw Tanjiro without another glance. The redhead rolled, groaning in pain as he landed on his back. For the millionth time of the day, Zenitsu wished Nezuko was with them. Maybe they could have had a better chance winning with a demon on their side.