Chapter 15

I killed some time at the library again, I read The War Between the Bloodsuckers and the Shapeshifters from cover to cover and realized that the sun was going down sometime around six pm. I walked past the leather bound box and debated if I should try unlocking it again. I concluded that there would be no use and headed down to the kitchen to tell Maria of my plans. I looked for her in the foyer, in the dining room and even the bathrooms but I could not find her. It finally dawned on me that today she had taken her trip to Akbur Hills to bring back Evan. I felt my stomach sink at the realization that they were taking longer than expected. She was supposed to meet him there for two, it had been four hours already.
I wondered if they had gotten caught somehow or if they were in trouble.

"What the hell are you doing here?"

I jumped up at the sound of a suspicious Tessa approaching me in the hall nearest the exit.

"What, I'm not allowed here either?"

"You look like you're doing something wrong."

I rolled my eyes. I understood that Tessa wanted my fate but how could she not see that hers was so much better? She's safe here forever with her mother whilst I play the role of the alphas punching bag. I would trade to be in her place anyday.

"I'm looking for your mom-"

"She's in Akbur Hills today and she told you that."

"I know," I gritted my teeth," but it's been hours."

"She's probably checking in on some of her friends. She doesn't get to visit often so when she does she likes to say hello to everyone."

I nodded to myself. It made sense although still, something didn't feel right.

"I need a ride tonight, to the Beta's house."

Tessa's eyes widened," are you insane?"

"His doll, Tiffany and her friend Daphine invited me over."

"Well you're not going, Master Damon will never allow it-"

"Won't allow what?"

The sound of his voice stunned both of us into silence. I gulped at his unannounced arrival. The time of his voice was enough to make a deaf man salute and desperate to obey.

"The girl is foolish, don't listen to her. She wants to go out tonight to her friends house-"

Damon raised his eyebrows at me. I wondered if he was still as angry as before if he'd calmed down.

"What is she talking about?" he was oddly calm.

"The dolls from last night are having a get together for seven. They invited me-"

"Who's dolls?"

"One of them belongs to the beta-"

Damon chuckled.
Tessa and I stared at him wide eyed.

"I'll send Bullet down here to drive you for seven." He was already walking away.

"Wait, that means I can go?"

Damon paused and turned to look back at me," did you think I wouldn't let you? Were you trying to sneak out behind my back?"

Yes and yes, although I didn't say that out loud.

"We'll I wasn't sure-"

"It will serve you good to be around other dolls, they'll show you how to behave so you're not so...faulty anymore."

Tessa grinned and I felt my blood boil. I did not recoil in fear that he'd change his mind. He spun around and left.
I walked past an amused Tessa and up to my room to get dressed.

If the circumstances were any different I think that I  would have rathered staying in and reading a book but a night out on my own without the eyes of the house staff or Damon or perhaps any werewolves at all was bound to do me good. I did not dwell on how I would dress, I cared little about  impressing Daphine and Tiffany. I shrugged on a long floral dress made of silk that hugged my chest nicely and paired it flats. Bullet was waiting by the door as promised, his head was parallel to the top of the entryway.
I pursed my lips and maybe my way towards the back of the van when a tight grip on my hands jolted me to turn back. I flinched in pain and turned to catch eyes with Damon. My heart dropped to my knees and I could not help but wonder if he changed his mind.

"You're wearing that to go hang out with the girls?" his voice was stern and so was the gaze of his eyes that seemed to touch my soul.

I scowled with confusion and peered down at my milky breasts that had a hard time being contained by the thin fabric.

"Yes, I think I look nice-"

"It's too small," I had just realized that Damon was speaking through gritted teeth.

"You're hurting me," I tried to pull my hand out from his grasp and failed.

"Go change."

"No! I look fine-"

"You look like a whore."

"What does it matter what I wear? I could walk down the street completely naked and no one will touch me because they're all too scared of you!"

Damon stared at me for a moment while I glared back. I watched with rage and confusion as his expression went from angry to amused. Was that a grin on his lips?
I yanked my sore hands when I felt his grip loosen and he let me.

"Be back before midnight."

I placed my hands on the handle to shut the car door," I'll be back when I feel like," and slammed it as hard as it would go.

It turned out that the beta's wife did not live too far from where I stayed. Just a few minutes later we were pulling into the long driveway of a gated beige mansion. I was let out of the car by Bullet and met with a human lady who offered me a strange coloured beverage in a wine glass.

"Cocktail?"

"I'd love one."

She escorted me into the home that was made of marble and glass, a real tree penetrated from brown roots in the middle of the foyer and burst into the ceiling upstairs. I followed the staff to the back of the massive home where a dinner table was set with more drinks and food. Tiffany was seated on the chair besides Daphine. They both stood and cheered at my arrival.