Chapter 50

Read the entire book now on Patreon!

Patreon.com/Bynadine

***

I hurried down the street and halted behind the same strip of trees that I hid behind last time. I peered out into the shop ahead and sure enough, my little father was hunched over, struggling to pull the metal doors. I knew there were no words to make this less intense, I was ready to unconceal myself to aid him with the gutters but someone turned the corner and pulled them for him.
It was Evan.
I immediately felt relief. I felt joy like never before, Evan might have told him about my existence, this might not go so bad after all. Somehow I doubted that Evan was still alive, I convinced myself that he was even when Maria confirmed that he was in Akbur Hills, I hadn't quite believed it. Seeing him for myself, alive and well, there was simply no comparison to that.
I did not wait any longer, I strutted across the dirt and marched right where the two men were setting up a table of what looked like hand made tools made out of wood. They both turned at the sound of my footsteps. It was Evan that spoke first.

"Ana?"
My father stared at me with wide eyes. He looked as if he'd seen a ghost.

"My Ana?"

"Hi dad."

"I'm seeing things again, dammit. I'm losing my mind. My doctor was right-"

"No dad, you're not."

"I-it can't be."

I guess Evan still hadn't told him after all.

"Dad, it's really me."

There were tears in my fathers eyes. I wanted so badly to wrap my arms around his small frame.

"That's not possible. You didn't age-"

"Mason, it's really her," Evan almost whispered," the wolves, they put her in a coma so that she could not age."

My father whipped around to face him," you're seeing this too?"

"Yes, it's really her. She's back," he placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

My father turned to face me and raised his hands," you're alive."

I didn't realize that tears were streaming down my face until I tasted them on my lips. I tried to wipe them away and smiled at my shocked father.

"Yes, I am. I'm so sorry-"

I threw myself into his arms and they wrapped around me immediately. I sobbed into his neck, I could not let go. I felt the strength of the memories of his touch hitting me as if the roof had collapsed on us.

"I can't believe it, you're still alive."

"I missed you so much," I spoke in between sobs," you have no idea how much I missed you."

"Those animals took you from me," my fathers arms wrapped around me even harder," they can't take you away now, not anymore."

***

I spent the rest of the day with Evan and my father. I revealed to him as much as I could, I even told them about the poison.

"Maria, she told us about that already. That's why she was sent away, because she hit you," my father said.

"Yes. I feel horrible about that-"

"Don't. There is no changing their mind. Whether Damon is alive or dead, the wolves have always had an agenda to kill the human race."

I looked at Evan to see if he agreed but it was evident on his face that he didn't.

"Evan?" I whispered. He hadn't said much to me. After the initial relief to discover that I was alive, Evan's anger with me did not remain unmasked for much longer.