Chapter 45

Read the entire book now on my Patreon

https://patreon.com/Bynadine

***

Damon had run off into the bedroom to clean himself up. He was now running late for a meeting and so during breakfast was the last that I had seen of him. Maria had pulled me aside as soon as she had finished cleaning the spill. When she was sure that Damon had left, she turned to face me. I suddenly felt small in a giant corner of the kitchen. Her silence was deafening.

"Let me explain-"

Her hot palm sliced against my teary cheek. I let out a cry and felt streams streaking down my skin. I couldn't even face her, I held onto my face to lessen the burning, it felt as if my skin would slide right off. I felt ashamed, like I had just betrayed her.

"You traitor," she spat," you fool!"

"Please," I whispered in between hiccups of sobbing," let me explain-"

"Do you have any idea what you have just done?"

I could not respond. I buried my face into my hands.

"I warned you from the beginning that Damon is evil. That man is going to kill everyone that you have ever loved!"

I continued to sob uncontrollably.

"You and you alone will be responsible for the life of every single human life that the wolves take! You did this! You!"

"I'm sorry-"

"You betrayed your own people. You idiot," I felt her coming closer to me," he fooled you. Like they all do, he manipulated you."

"Please listen to me-"

"What would your father think if he found out? What would he even say-"

"He may not continue with his plans-" I tried to reason.

"You stupid girl! It took him months to get those votes! Do you really think that you will be the one to change his mind?"

I didn't respond. I felt as if my entire world had collapsed on me.

She was right. How could I have been this naive?

"You're even dumber than I could have ever thought," she whispered in a tone of realization," you fell for him."

Minutes of silence passed and I finally realized that Maria had walked away. I wiped my groggy eyes to clear my eyesight. Tessa was at the door of the kitchen, a broom in her grasp. This was the very first time that I had seen her looking concerned.

"Are you alright?" she asked.

I didn't answer. I rushed past her and ran up the stairs. I locked the door for the bedroom and cried into the covers of the sheets for hours, having completely forgotten the camera's that watched me from the corners of the room.

The sun had gone down by the time that I had woken up. Realization of what I had done began to crumble on me. Like a whirlwind of explosive thoughts and emotions, I felt the immediate intensity of a migraine. I wanted to go back to sleep, I could not bear the consequences of what I had just done.

I stumbled into the washroom and whipped open the pantry.

"Sleeping pills....sleeping pills," I mumbled to myself as I scavenged through little bottles of pills . I found a blue bottle of sleeping pills hidden in the very back. I reached for it and sent a dozen others flying down. Pills were now under the counter, and beneath my feet.

I could not even care to pick them up or clean up my mess. I brought the bottle to my mouth and only meant to take three or four sleeping pills but half the bottle plummeted down my throat. I choked out loud and grabbed a cup to fill with water. I chugged the contents and headed back into the bedroom. The door suddenly burst open and Damon rushed inside.

"Are you alright!" He burst out.

I wiped tears from my face but my hands were wet with blood.

"Y-yes, it's just a cut-"

"Don't bother lying. I saw everything," Damon rushed to stroke my burning cheek," I've called the doctor. Bullet is on his way to get him-"

"Damon, that's not necessary," I moved his hands from my face as it was beginning to burn even more.

"Why did she hit you? Has she done it before-"

"Wait, what?" I took a step back," how did you know?"

"I saw Maria on the camera hit you for the spill."

"It was my fault, don't punish her!"

"How dare she, disrespect my mate in my own home-"

His face had gone red. I struggled to calm him down," Damon, listen to me. It's not her fault, where is she now?"

"Has she done this to you before? Tell me now, or I'll torture it out of her."

"No, she's never! Maria hasn't done anything, please tell me you haven't done anything to her!"

My head began to spin. I could no longer bear to stand still and I feared that it had something to do with the pills that I had just taken. Splotches of black suddenly began to litter my vision.

"I've gone soft. Clearly, there is no room for any kindness. She will see how evil I can truly be-"

"Damon, wait!" I grabbed onto his arm because he had turned away," please just listen to me. She didn't mean to hit me, you cannot do anything to her."

I felt the rush of unconsciousness teasing me in waves. I could not hold it off any longer, my world went dark as if someone had just flicked the lights off.

***

Thank you for reading. Don't forget to comment and vote!