Chapter 46

Read the entire book on my Patreon now
Link is in my bio
Don't forget to comment and vote!
Enjoy

***

I woke to what sounded like raindrops hitting a plastic surface. I stirred within the silky sheets and immediately felt the return of a headache. I reached for my head and pulled something with me. I opened my eyes and tried to better my blurry vision.

"Stop moving. You'll break the machine-."

I flinched slightly at the realization that Damon was in the room. He was standing by the closet, dressed in nothing but navy suit pants. I suddenly wished that he was closer, I wanted to touch him.
After gaining my vision, I was able to see the IV that was hooked into my arm. It wasn't raindrops that I was hearing but noises from the machine. The memories returned.

"What happened?" I tried to sit up.

"I should be asking you," Damon used a strange monotone. Had I done something to upset him?

"Where is Maria?"

"She's not here."
I felt something sinking in my guts.

"Where is she?"

"Did you try to kill yourself?" Damon asked abruptly.

"What?" I frowned," why would you think that?"

"Dr. Norman found these," he pulled out the blue bottle of sleeping pills," said you must have taken half the bottle."

"Oh my god," I slumped back so my back hit the headboard hard," no, I didnt try to kill myself, I just wanted to sleep-"

"So you take half the fucking bottle!" he screamed and I jumped up. I hadn't expected him to yell at me like that. I peered at his reddening face and realized how furious he was. I hadn't seen him this stressed out, ever.
Yes, I have. During my first days here when his father had recently been murdered, he had the same face. And when I had seen him that night by his mothers grave.

"I'm sorry," I said," it really was a mistake. Where is Maria-" I tried to take the IV out of my arm but it was taped multiple times as if someone had somehow predicted that I'd try to take it out.

"Doesn't matter now," Damon had given me his back. He was shrugging on a shirt and buttoning it up," she's back where she belongs."

"What does that mean, can you please just answer me?"

"Bullet took her back to Akbur Hills."

Fuck!
There was relief in knowing that she was alive, and he hadn't killed her, but I hadn't given her the blood to make her immune in the case that Damon does gas Akbur Hills.

"You shouldn't have done that," I mumbled," she didn't do anything."

Damon chuckled.

"I'm late for a meeting. Dr. Norman said you have to stay in bed all day, so don't move," I watched as he slid the bottle of sleeping pills into his pocket.

"I can't stay like this all day-"

He had already slipped out of the door.

"Damon!" I called out but there was no response.

Tessa burst in a few minutes later. I could not help but notice her red eyes. It was evident that she had been crying. I felt guilty, if it wasn't for me, her mother would still be here. She was silent as she placed a tray of food on my bedside table and began to clean the bandaids on my arm and face.

"Tessa," I whispered, hoping she would look at me but she avoided looking into my eyes," I'm so sorry."

"Shut up," she snapped. It felt like another slap," my mother is going to die, and it's going to be your fault."

"She won't, I'll figure out a way to get her back-"

"You've done enough," she stood to her feet, abandoning my bleeding wounds.
She marched out of the room, completely ignoring my calls.

Tessa's POV

I hadn't felt this lonely since the wolves had taken my mother away from my siblings and I. It was weeks later that my mother returned to Akbur Hills and told me that I and I alone could come live and work with her amongst the wolves. I guessed it was the closest thing to becoming a wolve's doll, not that I ever stood a chance. The girls that were picked had always been beyond beautiful unlike myself. I took what I could and in return, the universe had rewarded me with misery.
Now my mother was gone because of an unworthy doll and she was a fool to think that I would let this go.
I ran down the stairs in hopes of catching Master Damon before he left. He was by the door, ending a phone call.

"Master!" I called out, rushing down the marble hallway," a moment, if you will please!"

Damon turned back to face me with surprise. This would be the first time that I spoke with him like this.

"What's the matter? Is Ava alright?"

I resisted the urge to roll my eyes," yes, she's fine."

"What is it then?"

" I have something important to tell you-"

"I'm late for a meeting," he went to turn back around and I grabbed his arm to both of our shock.

"It can't wait."

He clenched his jaw and put his hand out to gesture to his driver to wait and then he turned to face me. I felt my organs sinking below my feet. I knew that what I could tell him could very much get me and my mother killed, but if there was a chance that I could take to do the opposite and save her life, then I would be a fool to not take it.
Even if it meant costing Ava hers.