Chapter 40

I felt nothing immediately after Maria injected me with the blood. We stared at each other for a few minutes, letting the silence decipher what we were thinking.

And then Maria said," anything?"

"Nothing-" I suddenly screamed out and clutched my head as a massive migraine imploded in between my temples. The pain of the headache felt like a bomb had gone off inside my face. I felt the blood inside of me grow hot.

"What's the matter, what do you feel-"

I could hear Maria's panicking over the thudding inside of my head.

"Hot, it's hot-" I tried to rip my own shirt off, I could no longer take the heat of my skin, the temperature had become unbearable.

"How can I help-"

"Ice!" I screamed out," get me ice!"

Maria ran out of the room while I struggled to contain myself on top of her bed. It felt as the heat was intensifying, and my skin had caught on fire.
Maria ran back inside with a bucket of ice. I hurried to grab a fistful and shoved it inside of my clothing. Maria iced my legs while I iced my face. A few minutes later, I felt my skin begin to return to normal and my headache had finally stopped.

Maria stared at me while I struggled to catch my breath.

"How was that?"

"Not so bad," I mumbled sarcastically.

"Are you alright?"

"The more important question is, how are we going to give it to my father and Evan inside of Akbur Hills?"

"I have a visit tomorrow to find a new gardener. I'll make sure it gets to your father and Evan-"

"I want to come."

"Absolutely not. We have no idea what's waiting for us in Akbur Hills now that things have changed. You stay here and deal with Damon, and while I'm gone, please give some of this to Tessa and help her with the aftermath."

I sighed. She's right.
Defeated, I left the room a few minutes later and crawled back into bed with a lightly snoring Damon. I stayed awake for a few moments wondering if the effects of the blood were over or if there were more.

The next morning, I woke up once again to an empty bed. I didn't feel any different, I wished that there was a way for me to test if the blood works and if it truly does makes me immune from the gas. Maria was nowhere to be found and I assumed it was because she had gone to Akbur Hills. I found Tessa in the kitchen cleaning out the fridge.

"Hey, I need to talk to you about something," I said.

"I know, mom already told me," she reached into her pockets and pulled out a needle.

"Did she say where she put the blood?"

"It's in here," Tessa pulled out a mug from the fridge  that was covered in tin foil," she took most of it to Akbur Hills to give to Evan and your father, and if there's any left, she'll give it to my siblings."

I peered inside of the cup after removing the foil," that's enough for you, we need ice."

She filled a bucket from the freezer and we were ready.

"Let's go to my room."

We abandoned the kitchen tasks and headed down the same murkey hall that almost seemed to be in a forgotten part of the house. Tessa's bedroom was almost identical to her mothers with no decorations or indication of life. I set the bucket of ice down while Tessa took her seat on the bed. I carefully lifted her sleeves and loaded the needle with blood.

"Wait-" Tessa pulled her arm back," will it hurt?"

I could see tears forming in her eyes. I smiled softly," only for a few minutes, but it's worth it."

"It will make me immune to the gas, right? And the vampires."

Hopefully.

"Yes."

She let out a sigh and brought her arm closer to me," okay."

She sucked in her breath and I punctured her skin, releasing the blood into her veins. I tossed it out and waited for her reaction.

"Now what?"

"Just wait-"

"Ouch!" she gripped her head and fell back into the bed. Soon enough, she was squirming and moaning while begging for the ice.

"Hold still, I'm gonna pour it into your shirt!" I grabbed the bucket and began to toss it inside of her clothes and onto her legs.

"More!" She cried out," it's burning me!"

"Hold on, stop moving!"

She iced her face and a few minutes later, she eventually calmed down.

"We. Should. Have. Done. This," she struggled to catch her breath," inside of the fucking shower!"

"That would have been smart," I mumbled, staring at her now soaked sheets.

"Is that all? Will there be more?"

"That was it for me, I feel completely normal now."

She nodded," and Damon? When will the potion be ready for Damon?"

"Three days, don't tell a soul."

She nodded her head," Ava?"

Her skin was returning back to normal color as the red from the heat disappeared.

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

I smiled," don't thank me yet."

***

Read the entire book (56 chapters) on Patreon. Link is in my bio
Don't forget to comment and vote
Enjoy!