10.

chapter ten ; about last night

_________________

Barry sat in his lab, fiddling with a pen as he waited for Natalie to show up for her first day. He was nervous, given the water fight and their talk about going on a date last night. He didn't want their relationship, whatever it was becoming, to be awkward. His thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door and Barry jerked his head up and smiled. The smile fell slightly when he saw it wasn't Natalie but Iris.

"Well you seem happy to see me," Iris said sarcastically as she walked in and pulled over a chair.

Barry went back to fiddling with his pen and mumbled a 'sorry'.

Iris sighed and ruffled Barry's hair, "So..what happened last night? You have to tell me everything. Do you want me to-"

Barry looked up at her and furrowed his eyebrows, "What are you talking about?"

Iris stopped mid sentence and turned her head towards him with a shocked look on her face, "You know exactly what I'm talking about."

When Barry didn't answer her, she began to smile, "Natalie, Barry. What happened with Natalie? I mean you get her a job, then the next thing I know is you two are in the shower together-"

"We were having a water fight," Barry mumbled as he felt a blush creep onto his cheeks as Iris talked about Nat.

Iris smiled and continued on, "And you walked her home. I can tell when you're nervous, Bare. Don't forget we grew up together. You like her, don't you?"

Barry's blushed harder and tried to hide it by looking at the floor. Iris shoved him lightly and laughed when she saw him, "You know you can tell me, Barry."

He quickly stood up and walked to the window, running his hands through his hair than over his face, "I do, Iris. I think.. I really do like her. I just don't wanna screw it up. Not for her, but for me."

Iris patiently waited as she let Barry empty his head. He set his hands on the ledge near the window, staring out at the city below, and spoke softly, "I want to do something for myself. I've been so busy in the past trying to help other people, help the CCPD, solve my mom's murder, and get my dad out of prison, I've never done something for myself. I don't want to make any mistakes. I want to start living."

Iris moved behind Barry and rubbed his shoulder, "Just be you, Barry. But you might want to ask her out first before it's too late."

Barry smirked and turned his head towards Iris, "I kind of already asked her on a date last night."

Iris jumped up and clapped her hands, "Yes, Barry! Aww you're growing up. You don't need my help anymore getting girls."

Barry twisted a little and moved his head side to side, "I don't know where to go, though. Where's a good place to take her?"

Iris placed both her hands on Barry's shoulders, "Just listen to your heart, Barry. You have a great one. I'm gonna attempt to let this one relationship be all you. But I'm gonna help her. Plus it's a way for us girls to bond."

Barry and Iris stood there smiling before she removed her hands and grabbed her purse, "I have to go but I'll talk to you later about all of this."

"I thought you said this was gonna be all me?" Barry joked as Iris walked towards the door.

Iris laughed and began walking backwards, "Fine. Then I'll just talk to her! Bye Bare."

"Later Iris," Barry said as he chuckled to himself and checked his phone.