18.

chapter eighteen ; the fallout

_________________

Pulling into where Caitlin directed, Natalie parked the van and Ronnie rushed to carry the Flash inside. Natalie unbuckled the seat but couldn't bring herself to move. Caitlin, noticing her apprehension, climbed towards the front and hesitantly grabbed Natalie's hand. When she didn't pull back, Caitlin spoke. "A lot has happened tonight. And I know you have a lot of questions, but you have a choice. What we do, what I'm involved in, it's dangerous. What happened at Jitters tonight, that's just a consequence of what we do here. What I do."

Natalie tore her gaze from the building to Caitlin, the tears welling up in her eyes. Tears of fear, confusion, hurt. She didn't know what to think and didn't fully understand what Caitlin was saying, but she didn't speak.

Caitlin looked at her for a moment before she continued, "If you don't go inside that building tonight, then we won't tell you. It'll keep you as safe as you can be. But there will be secrets between us. You and me and several other people. In the dark, you wouldn't be in the direct line of threat from..what's bad out there."

Natalie squeezed Caitlin's hand, considering the first part.

"If you do go inside, then we will tell you everything. Everything that has happened, what we do, and you can be a part of it. I'll make sure of it. But you would be in a lot of danger. In our work, our lives are in danger, almost everyday. It's a secretive life. But it's made my life fuller," Caitlin said, a pained smile spreading on her face.

"Cait? We need your help!" Ronnie yelled from the building entrance. Caitlin squeezed her hand and ran to Ronnie, looking back once she reached the door.

When Caitlin was gone, Natalie let everything out. Her body shaking as sobs rocked her body. All of the fear and confusion being released through her cries. She sat there considering what Caitlin said, wiping the tears the ran down her cheeks and sniffling. It was a huge decision.

If she didn't go, her life was as safe as it could be. But she would be blocked by secrets, distanced by whoever was involved in that building.

If she did go, she could be a part of something. She would know more and not be held back by lies. But she would be in danger.

The obvious choice was to leave. To leave and never come back. To stay safe. But Natalie didn't want to live in a life surrounded by lies. Natalie stepped out of the van, clutching the keys tightly in her hand and made her way to the door. Right before she pushed it, she hesitated. This was her last moment to turn back. Taking a deep breath, Natalie pushed open the door and stepped into the building of S.T.A.R. Labs. She had to keep remembering, that she knew walking out, she was probably going to be hurt today, but that she would be part of something bigger.

Natalie walked down the hall, following it whenever it curved, the long silver panels on each side making it feel never ending. She heard voices echoing down the hall and followed, but wasn't able to make them out until she got to a room. It looked like a makeshift hospital.

She saw the legs and body of the Flash, lying on the bed with a hundred spikes sticking out of him, like a porcupine. Caitlin, she assumed, standing by his side in a lab coat, plucking out the spikes and blocking his face. Ronnie by her side. The Flash grunting in pain as she pulled each one out. Cisco was on the opposite side of the bed and a man in a wheel chair, the man who must be the famous Dr. Wells, at the foot. Natalie walked in, her footsteps announcing her entrance.

Cisco looked up from the Flash his worried expression turning into shock. Dr. Wells followed his gaze, his emotionless expression forming into anger. Caitlin stopped and turned as well and gave a hesitant smile as Ronnie walked over and slipped his hand into Nat's, pulling her towards the bed.