29.

chapter twenty-nine ; bumps, jolts, and smoak

_________________

A few days after Eddie had been conducted into Team Barry, as Natalie mentally called the group, a small increase of criminals were put behind bars. With Eddie knowing Barry's alter ego, it made everything a lot easier for Barry to assist Eddie and Joe when they were on patrols and on call, but Natalie noticed there was still a bit of hesitation coming from the blonde. To Natalie, Eddie still seemed as if he was in shock of what his new reality was, so as a result, they became better friends, much to Iris' glee. As for the case against Wells, no other revelations had risen and Joe adamantly insisted that Barry and Natalie keep it a secret from Caitlin and Cisco for everyone's protection.

It was a surprise for Natalie, who was organizing the evidence into crates for different cases in Barry's lab, when she received a call from Barry to head to S.T.A.R. Labs. Lately, Barry was reluctant to go stating he felt uncomfortable around Wells even though Joe had urged him to keep up his normal appearances. But given the call, Natalie complied and hailed a cab, still not having gotten a car since she arrived at Central City. The click of her heels echoed off the walls of the hall as she walked into the Cortex and nudged her arm against Barry's rib cage, earning her a kiss to her temple and an arm around her waist.

Cisco smiled at the affection from the two and quickly got straight to business as he informed Natalie of the reason she was called down, "I'll sum up what happened cause I think Caitlin's almost done doing her thing, but the victim was Lindsay Kang. Her body was covered all over in puncture wounds."

"What if it was acupuncture?" Natalie inquired as she tilted her head and smirked. Barry chuckled, "All over her body? In her car? That doesn't sound like a relaxing or very sanitary spa day." Natalie shrugged as Cisco laughed in response to Barry's retort.

"Death by apitoxin," Caitlin announced as she walked into the Cortex. "Honey bee venom," Dr. Wells cleared up as he noticed the confused look on Natalie's face.

Natalie shivered and shook her head, "I hate bees." Cisco nodded his head in agreement and stared at the video Caitlin pulled up on a big screen of a bee, "Y'all, I don't do bees. Ain't nobody got time bees!"

"I thought a bee leaves its stinger in you when it stings you. Shouldn't you have found that on the body? And doesn't the bee die after that?" Natalie asked as she looked between her cousin and boyfriend. Dr. Wells nodded in appraisement at her input as Barry shook his head at her, "There were no stingers in the body. And no dead bees in the car."

"Mrs. Kang was found with enough venom in her system to kill a herd of elephants. It appears, not only is a metahuman controlling these bees but also increasing their toxicity," Dr. Wells concluded as Caitlin brought up her report on the victim.

Cisco shook his head and squirmed a little, "Anyone wanna join me in getting a beekeeper suit?" Natalie sheepishly raised her hand as Barry smugly grinned, "Pretty sure I can outrun a bee."

"Just don't run into a lake. Bees will wait for you to come up for air and then sting you. Discovery Channel. Turns out there's a lot to discover."

Natalie turned around to the doorway to see a woman in glasses, her blonde hair in a sleek ponytail, and an outfit that instantly made Natalie jealous of her closet, but she couldn't help the wave of panic at the arrival of the unknown woman. Just as she opened her mouth to question her, Barry beat her to it, "Felicity, what are you doing here?"

"Wait you know her?" Natalie asked as she turned to Barry, who's face quickly flashed in panic and then relaxed when he nodded and smiled at the woman. By the smiles on Caitlin and Cisco's faces, she knew that the people at S.T.A.R. Labs trusted this woman, easing her panic.