12.

chapter twelve ; detailed simplicity

_________________

Natalie analyzed her appearance in the wall mirror as she twisted and turned, eager to make sure she looked okay in every angle, pulling on her nude wedges, which complimented her dark blue skinny jeans and yellow tank top. Finishing up, she pulled at her lightly curled hair and nodded to herself, sure that she looked fine. Natalie was quite eager for this date. Barry was very cute, and kind, and intelligent. She wasn't going to let a great man, as much as she knows of him, slip through her fingers because she was scared. Her thoughts were quickly interrupted as the doorbell rang.

"I'll be there in a second!" she called as she checked her appearance one last time and quickly sped to the door, taking a deep breath before she opened it.

Barry stood with that infamous, brilliant smile on his face, his hands deep in his pocket, "Hey."

Natalie returned the smile, "Hey."

The two stood there for a while, both racking their brains for something to say.

"Umm, shall we go?" Barry finally asked, gesturing behind him.

Natalie laughed lightly, "Yeah. Yeah of course."

Barry smiled at his shoes as Natalie locked her door and walked beside him. Natalie stopped short right in front of the car and pointed to it, "You didn't steal this did you?"

Barry jerked his head at her, "What?" His confusion further strengthened when he saw the small smile on her face.

She laughed when she saw him, "Caitlin told me you didn't own a car."

Barry nodded to himself and sighed in relief, "Yeah that's true. It's Iris' car. She let me borrow it for tonight."

Natalie let out a small 'oh' when Barry mentioned Iris. She still had that feeling that Barry had feelings for Iris, even though she was with Eddie. A smile spread across her face when she saw Barry opening the passenger door for her, "M'lady."

Giggling, Natalie slid in the car, "Why thank you, kind sir."

Barry laughed as he gently shut the door and walked around the front of the car and got in. He smiled at himself and started the car, "Well, you might be wondering where we are going,"

He turned to see Natalie smiling at him, "The thought may have crossed my mind."

"And I would just like to say that it is something I haven't done in a long time," Barry said as he focused on the road ahead of him.

Natalie furrowed her eyebrows and faced back towards the road, a small smile on her face, "That is a very vague hint."

"Don't worry, I think you'll like it. I asked Caitlin what you'd like.."

Nat quickly turned towards Barry, "Wait, you asked Caitlin for help on our date?"

Barry's grip tightened on the steering wheel as he glanced at Nat and continued hesitantly, "Is that bad? I just wanted to make sure you enjoyed the date."

"No, no, no. It's just that.. no one's ever gone out of their way..I.. Thank you, Barry. That's really sweet," Natalie said as she felt a deep blush form on her cheeks. Her opinion of Barry just kept getting better and better. Barry's grip relaxed and he nodded to himself.

After about 15 minutes, Barry parked the car and unbuckled his seatbelt, and quickly scrambled out to open the door for Natalie. She gave him a small thank you as he told her to wait directly in front of the car.