46.

chapter forty-six ; the finale

_________________

Natalie gripped tightly onto Caitin's hand as everyone gathered by the pipeline, waiting for Barry so they could say goodbye and wish him well. As much as she was happy about their confessed feelings only a few moments before, she was scared that it would all be for nothing. Erased in time as all their other moments may be.

Her long-haired friend rocked on his heels beside her and tapped her lightly when Barry pushed through the group. His Flash suit on but hood left down, he faced the doors and took a deep breath before he turned around. He hugged Caitlin first, her cousin biting down on her lip to prevent from crying as she hugged her suited friend. Barry took a step back and sadly smiled at her before moving to the next goodbye.

"Okay, there are gonna be three you's back there," Cisco started as Barry moved to stand in front of him. "The you from the future, who saved younger you from the Reverse Flash, and now you you," he stated as he numbered them on his hands. "Now remember, you have to wait until future you gets younger you out of there, then you can go and save your mom."

Barry nodded his head in understanding , "Piece of cake."

Cisco smile sadly before placing his hands on either side of Barry's shoulders, "May the speed force be with you."

He took a few steps towards Joe, the elder cop smiling sadly and his eyes brimming with tears as he knew what was to come. "Goodbye, dad," Barry said as he placed a hand on Joe's shoulder. Natalie felt her own eyes sting when she saw Joe's masked face break, the sadness he felt evident when he pulled Barry in for a hug, burying his head in Barry's shoulder. "Goodbye, son."

"You don't have to say anything," Iris said, stepping up to her foster brother when he moved back from Joe, "I already know." She placed a sisterly kiss on his forehead before stepping back and wiping her eyes. "I hope whatever life you get it's enough for you. And it makes you happy." He gave her a smile as she went back to stand with Eddie, their hands intertwining once more.

Natalie let out a small whimper when Barry turned towards her as she felt her façade start to crumble. Seeing this, Barry quickly moved forward, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her into his chest, rocking her back and forth as he stroked her hair. The sobs shook her body as the reality of it all hit her. Barry kissed the top of her head as she tried to calm her, stray tears falling down his face as well.

"Hey, Natalie. Nattie, please look at me," Barry whispered. Natalie slowly lifted her head, smiling gently as Barry tried his best to wipe the tears away with his suited thumb. "No matter what timeline I'm on, I will always love you." He held up a necklace that he had had clutched in his hand, a small ring hooked on it. He moved her hair and placed it on her neck. The brunette took her hands off his chest to admire the  new piece of jewelry, her finger tracing over the two crossing hoops of the ring. "It was my mother's," Barry said softly as he watched her. "I didn't know if it would fit, so I put it on the chain. Thought it would be better if I gave it to you now instead of earlier."

"You're making it really hard to say goodbye right now, Allen," Natalie shakily laughed out as she let the ring fall to her chest.

Barry shook his head as he stepped forward and took her face in his, "It's not goodbye because we will see each other again. I have faith in that. What ever happens, I just want you to know that I will always love you. Every piece, remember?" Natalie nodded her head.

"I love you so much, Barry," Natalie cried out as she leaned back into his chest. She leaned back once she composed herself and placed her hands on either side of his face, "Now you do me proud, Barry Allen. Stay safe. Do good."