28.

chapter twenty-eight ; hat trick

_________________

Wailing from the room across the hall pulled little six year old Natalie from her quiet dreams. Knowing she wasn't supposed to be up at this hour, she quietly slipped out of her bed and peeked her head out into the hallway before she made her way into baby Trevor's nursery. She walked up to the crib and rested her head in-between the bars, staring droopy eyed as the little baby cried. "Why are you sad? Be happy, Trevy," she cooed as she watched him. The little brunette tried playing with him to cheer him up, but none of it worked. "Stop crying," Natalie scolded as she plopped down on the stool.

Picking her head up, Natalie rushed downstairs when she remembered the boy's pacifier and milk bottle. When she had reached the bottom of the steps, she heard another person crying, but this one was soft and muffled sobs. "Mommy why are you crying? Are you crying because Trevy is crying?" the little brunette asked as she moved from her hiding place in the shadows.

Lana Reed lifted her head from her hands and rushed to her daughter, leaving behind the broken beer bottles her husband had smashed on the floor just before. "Sweetie I'm fine. Lets get Trevor to stop crying, okay?" her mother suggested as she guided her daughter away from the mess. Though she had managed to put both her children to bed that night, Lana hadn't managed to keep the glass out of Natalie's sight.

When Barry rubbed his thumb from where his hand rested on Natalie's leg, she was pulled from that memory, the first memory she could remember where she had seen the bad her father could do. Her head rested on the cool glass of the car window as the world outside rushed past. The fleeting images slowed and came to a stop, causing a curious Natalie to lift her head from its resting spot.

"Why are we stoping? Joe, what are we doing at my house? We have to go to James Jesse's lair," Natalie said as she leaned forward towards the front part of the car. Joe glanced at Barry through the rear-view mirror. "You're not going. It's not safe. Natalie, after what happened today, you're probably not..stable-"

"No, Joe. I'm going with you guys. I'm not some weak little girl," Natalie cut him off and looked at Barry for support. His green eyes dimmed and he shook his head, "Nobody thinks of you that way. Natalie, we don't know what he has in that place. If something goes wrong, I won't be in my right mind to get both you and Joe out of there. It's safer for all of us this way if only two of us go. If something happened to either of you I would never forgive myself."

Natalie stared into his pleading eyes before reluctantly nodding. "Fine. But you two better keep me posted. And bring me some food," she huffed to the amusement and relief of the two men. Joe chuckled as he started the car back up and Barry gave Natalie a kiss goodbye before she climbed out, "Sure thing, kiddo."

The first thing Natalie did when she got inside was take a long needed nap, and after that, snuggled up on the couch to watch some movies. Dragging the blanket with her, Natalie answered the door when the bell rang to Barry holding a bag from Big Belly Burger. "Got you some food like you asked but I can't stay long," Barry said as he walked in and headed to the couch. After locking the door, Natalie curled up next to him and spread the blanket across the both of them. "So what did you guys find at the creep's lair?" Natalie asked as she pulled the food out of the bag and began digging in.

Barry wrapped an arm around her and sighed, "Well first off I'm glad we didn't let you go. James Jesse had a bomb as a form of protection to what he was hiding..which was another bomb, that the copycat stole." Natalie finished chewing and swallowed her food before she spoke, "So the creepy kid in the mask has a bomb.. How big of a bomb?" Barry grimaced, "Jesse said, and I quote, 'Bye, bye Central City'".