Sunset

Disclaimer: I don't own Attack on Titan

Previously: They felt nostalgic when they saw themselves fighting against Pure Titans and Maria told Future-Eren about Candy's health.

A/N: Please point out the grammar and spell mistakes. Thank you for @ChiryMax for writing the transcript.

|~|

"What?!"

Maria furrowed her brows, confused. "What? You don't know about this?"

"No."

"Why do you don't know about this? You already lived through this, didn't you? You should know what happened when you were here with your friends."

"Yes, I did. But this is news to me. She never said anything. After this here was over, we also never heard from her again, she promised to help us but never did. I guess it makes sense now why." He looked at Candy in worry. "How long does she have?"

Maria sighed. "Not long... Our doctors told her she would have 2-3 months left..."

"Shouldn't she be resting?"

Maria smiled sadly. "She did for weeks, it was eating her alive to know she was going to die. She was so sad all the time. Then one day she started watching this series." She looked at him with tears in her eyes. "She got so invested, practically fell in love with you and your friends. She was happy when she watched the episodes, even though they were most of the time sad and gruesome. And it made her forget about her illness in these moments."

She was silent for a moment and both of them watched the others. They were chatting among themselves, eating something or were lost in thoughts.

"Then when it was over, she got thoughtful. She didn't know what to do, and she told me more than once that she wished she could help all of you. At that time, I was researching because I got my memories back, and I found the books she told you about and gave it to her to read. I told her about my 'theory', which got her excited, wanted to know more about it."

"That sounds like as if you didn't tell her the whole truth about yourself." He pointed out.

"That's because I didn't tell her. When I got my memories back, I was so overwhelmed and confused, I couldn't find the right moment to tell her." she sighed. She was silent for a moment before she began to speak again, clearly avoiding the topic. "She was so invested in this topic that I decided to help her to build this room and edited the episodes with her." Maria looked around. "This room took us 2 weeks to create, you know. The charm for this was very complicated, and it drained us of so much energy. But me more than her. I didn't want her condition to get worse. She was so excited when everything was ready, even when she knew it could be all for nothing...."

Eren looked down. "So you know that not everything can be changed? That some things have to happen?"

Maria nodded. "She gave me hints." She looked at Sasha sadly at those words.

"And for her? No one can help her?"

Maria shook her head as she pressed her lips together. "We went to so many doctors, to see if they could help her, but no one could... This here is her last wish before..." she sniffed and cleared her throat.

"But doesn't have your world magic? Maybe that can cure her."

Maria smiled sadly. "I wish it could. But our magic can't do everything. It also has its limits."

"I see."

"But what I don't understand is, something must have been different when you were here the first time. You didn't know of her condition. That must mean she never called me here the other time around. I wonder what changed." Maria looked thoughtful.