6. Never Again

3 months later

Skylar POV

The Florida sun streams through my living room as I clear the thin layer of dust off my TV set. My only plans for today were to get the house thoroughly cleaned, I had taken some time off so that I could get everything sorted for moving house.

In a few weeks I would be moving from Florida back home to Pennsylvania. I didn't want to move, I needed to, I needed to get away from here and all the reminders this place holds of what I can't have.

Catching a glimpse of the gold band on my ring finger that really by now I should have taken off my mind travels back to the day Matt asked me to do a favour for his friend. My brother is kind of my weakness I love him, we are very close and I would do anything for him and what a mess he got me in this time.

I'd had no issue agreeing to being a decoy bride for his friend, the plan was I played the bride, the press would think he got married and then he and his fiancée Liv would sneak off somewhere and actually get married. The plan was perfect except for one small problem, I wasn't meant to feel anything for this guy.

From the moment I met Damian he was sweet, kind and thoughtful. I enjoyed spending time with him and I could see why Liv had fallen for him. The decoy wedding went without a hitch but when it came time to walk away it was far harder than I expected it to be.
Damian and I had remained friends but I had come to the conclusion that I had spent way to many evenings crying on my brothers shoulder over a guy I couldn't have, my solution was to leave, to not be near him so much, or as my brother called it running away.

I take hold of the ring with the intention of finally removing it, it wasn't a real wedding anyway, but a knock at the door holts me and with a furrowed brow I open it.

"Damian! What are you doing here?" I ask completely confused and then it happens, my heart starts to race and my head starts to believe I'm finally getting what I've been dreaming of, that he is here to tell me he feels the way I do, that he wants me

"Hey twinkle, sorry for just dropping in like this but I need to talk to you" he says nervously playing with his hands and that's when I notice there is no ring on his finger

"Sure come on in" I say stepping aside "is everything alright? Is Liv ok?"

"Liv is perfect, and everything will be great once things are sorted out" he says taking a seat on the couch "you remember our fake wedding?" He asks and I nod as I take a seat next to him "well it turns out it was fake at all, it seems your brother got a real priest instead of an actor and well......I'm married to you instead of Liv"

"I........how do you know?" I ask

"Well when Liv and I went to get married, the priest said he couldn't do it becuase their register showed me as already married" he says "so for me to marry Liv I need to unmarry you"

"Oh.......yes of course......what do we need to do?" I ask doing my best to hide the fact my heart just shattered completely

"I've spoken to my lawyer and he says the process will take 4 to 6 weeks" he says "I have to stick around here so that I'm available when I'm needed"

"4 to 6 weeks, I'm only going to be here for another 3 weeks, I'm moving back home" I say and to my surprise his face falls

"You.....you're leaving?" But I thought you loved it here in Florida?" He asks

"I do but I miss my family" I lie "I want to be closer to them, I know Matt is here but when he's on the road I'm on my own"

"I'm sorry you're leaving, I'm really going to miss you twinkle. We'll still keep in touch right? We're still friends?" He asks

"Of course, always" I smile "and I'm going to miss you too, if it helps I'll move my stuff and then come back and stay with Matt until this is sorted, no sense in making things difficult"

"Yeah" he smiles "that would be great and it gives me time to plan your farewell party, can't let you leave without a party, you know I like a party"

"Yeah I do" I chuckle

"Right I'd better get going, I'll call you when I hear from my lawyer.....unless........unless you want to hang out or something in the meantime?" He asks

"I uh......yeah sure I'd like that" I smile knowing on the inside I'm completely broken, because now I know for sure that only in my dreams will this man want me the way I want him.

"Cool" he smiles before wrapping me up in a hug which I gladly return "thank you for everything you've done for me, you've no idea how much I appreciate it, you're amazing twinkle"

"You're welcome" I say softly as a lone tear falls down my cheek "I wish nothing but happiness for you and Liv, you both deserve it"

As we move apart he takes my hands in his and smiles at me for a moment. He lifts my left hand and looks at the ring on my finger and then his eyes find mine once again.

"You still wear it?" He asks a half smile playing on his lips

"It um....its stuck" I lie "I've tried everything to......." I'm cut off as he lifts my finger up and places it in his mouth, slowly he slides his lips up my finger and then slides the ring off handing it to me

"There......stuck no more" he smiles and I swear I see a hint of sadness in his eyes "I'll see you soon" he says letting go of my hands and walking out of the door, leaving me staring at the ring sitting in the middle of my hand, knowing I can never put it back on again.