22.

"Rose-"

"I was an idiot for loving someone like you!" Rosie exclaimed as raised her fists and hit him on his chest. He didn't stop her in fact he just stood still and let her.

Rosie hit him uncontrollably as her tears pulled out of her eyes.

"It was me who loved you through everything and you didn't even care" Rosie started punching his chest even harder. She ignored the pain that struck in her arm.

"I did care!" Elijah yelled.

"Don't lie!"

"I'm not Rose" Elijah responded and Rosie's breathed in deeply.

"If you're not then why tell me that you pretended to like me? You pretentious asshole!" Rosie blurted out still hitting him.

"I did it to protect you!" Elijah replied gripping Rosie's wrists as he noticed her wincing in pain.

"From what?" She asked trying to pull her wrists away.

"From yourself!" Elijah screamed and Rosie stopped fighting. She stood there confused.

"What?"

"I knew that you were going through some things at home and if it came down to a choice, you would choose me over anything even yourself" Elijah stated as a tear rolled down Rosie's cheek.

"You didn't need that"

"You needed friendship and love"

"And I...I couldn't give that to you" Elijah admitted. Rosie understood what he meant. As much as she hated to admit, he was right.

"But why do hold out even now? I mean you won't even let me kiss you" Rosie inquired.

He always pretended as nothing happened. She wasn't a child anymore.

"It's not that, I'm afraid that if I kissed you, I wouldn't be able to stop" Elijah stated and Rosie felt her body shiver as she heard the words "I wouldn't be able to stop".

They held eye contact as their heavy breathing made the tension climax. He had moved closer leaning in as her eyes greedily invited him in. He had gripped her waist while her hands were around his neck.

"Then don't," Rosie said as his lips crashed onto hers. Even as the cold foggy air brushed against the skin, their lips made enough warmth for the both of them.

Rosie heart pounded as her knees got weaker. This was her first kiss with Elijah after so long and it felt unreal.

It was like time had stopped. She felt her senses tingle as his lips moved rhythmically with hers and how soft it was.

He addictively drew her in making her tense with pleasure. There was no escaping of how his fingers had brushed against her back.

She couldn't tell if it was a dream or her mind playing games with her.

He wasn't sure if time had tricked him and the smell and taste of Rosie's lips was all a lie. She brushed her fingers through his hair as he lifted her off the ground.

It would have been a step further if cars hadn't hooted ruining a perfectly good moment. Elijah put Rosie down after longing for a more passionate kiss again.

"It should be illegal to have such soft lips, Rose," Elijah said as he pulled away.

"Really?"

"You're killing me" Elijah groaned as he pulled Rosie in for another kiss but she stopped him.

"You gonna get me home at a decent hour before my friends call the police" Rosie replied and Elijah sighed.

He opened the passenger door and drove her home. She walked inside and Elijah left. She made sure to call her friends to let them know that she was okay.

She had a journal in front of her that Elijah gave her. She was trying to write something but nothing came to mind except the wondering of what Elijah and her were.

"Well you're not gonna get anywhere if you don't ask him," her subconscious said that was sitting in her chair.

She always thought she was crazy for talking to herself but in some ways, this imaginary person that looked like her, made her do the right thing and it helped her.

It was her subconscious telling her what to do but instead of it being in her head, it was out in the open only for her to see.

"Why ask? When it can whatever it wants" Rosie replied her subconscious chuckled. Pretty sure it was making fun of her.

"You're an overthinker" Her other version claimed.

"That's not true" Rosie whispered rolling her eyes. She was, granted but didn't want to admit it.

"Why do you think I'm out in the open instead of being in that tiny little brain of yours" Her subconscious insulted Rosie. She supposed that she was just insulting herself but it gave her inspiration.

"What if I wrote a book about a girl who had a friend who nobody else could see until they couldn't see the girl either," Rosie said and her subconscious nodded her head. It didn't seem like a bad idea.

"I see your writing again," Her other version said and Rosie's smile faded.

"It's just ideas, I'm not writing anything" Rosie whispered under her breath.

She knew she could talk to her subconscious in her head but communicating seemed better when her mouth moved.

"Lily would want you too"

"Stop talking" Rosie replied. She didn't want to hear single thought about Lily.

She didn't want anything to do with her sister that was buried six feet underground. She didn't want to be reminded.

"Your dad misses you know," Her subconscious said. Rosie knew that but how could she think about him.

He wasn't even there for her whole life so why would he suddenly care?

When she said that Elijah was her first heartbreak, she was wrong. Her dad had been her first. He's the reason Lily died.

"You know that's not true," her subconscious said. She was just telling her what she wanted to hear.

It's like her thoughts were battling each other. She didn't know which side she was on but it was the winning team.

"Lily died because she had kidney failure, nothing else"

"No, she died because she had a panic attack during surgery!" Rosie exclaimed throwing the journal on the floor.

"If it wasn't for my stupid aunt in law then she would still be alive," Rosie said.

Her aunt told Lily about her dad being shot. He had been hijacked and she stupidly told Lily right before her surgery.

How could you tell that someone who is already scared for their life?

"Things like this happen" Her subconscious insisted that her aunt was innocent. Rosie didn't buy it. Not for one second.