Chapter 203 : Mutant

Klein opened the letter, feeling both expectant and nervous before he began reading Azik’s reply.

“... I thought about a few possibilities regarding the scenario you described, and I remembered a few things about Vampires and Mutants.

“Natural vampires were already on the brink of extinction before the dragons and giants bowed out of the stage of world history. Later on, they might occasionally be discovered. The Vampires we usually talk about, as well as those mentioned in folklore, are more similar to Beyonders. I recall that the name of a potion in a particular pathway is called Vampire.

“If your superior is now in a half-insane state, then it’s very likely that he mistakenly consumed such a potion. The result of mixing two potions from different pathways makes a half-insane state a certainty. Yes, I vaguely remember the pathway of the Evernight, which is also the Sleepless pathway as you know it, can be interchanged at High Sequences with the pathway of Death and the pathway of Giants. But it doesn’t include the Vampire pathway.

“Of course, we cannot rule out the possibility that your superior might have accepted it willingly. After all, Vampires have a long life, an exceptional constitution, and excellent looks. When compared with these benefits, accepting a state of half-insanity is reasonable.”

Klein froze when he read the letter. He didn’t expect Mr. Azik to provide him with this much information.

The Death pathway is also known as the Corpse Collector pathway. It can be interchanged at High Sequences with the Sleepless pathway. I knew about this from Emperor Roselle’s diary. But to think that it can also be interchanged with the Giant pathway after Sequence 4... The Giant pathway is the one that the City of Silver possesses, which is also the present-day God of Combat pathway... I’ve always suspected that Giant King Aurmir was the ancient God of Combat...

Yes, Emperor Roselle’s diary described the Church of the Evernight Goddess and the Church of the God of Combat as mortal enemies... Could this be because the pathways they possess can be interchanged at higher sequences?

If I follow this line of thought, I can find an explanation as to why the three ancient churches, the Church of the Lord of Storms, the Church of the Eternal Blazing Sun, and the Church of the God of Knowledge and Wisdom, are at odds with each other. That’s because the pathways of Sailor, Bard, and Reader can be interchanged at High Sequences!

Yes, during the end of the previous Epoch, the Pale Era, it ‘s likely that the fall of Death was caused by the Evernight Goddess and the God of Combat...

The Captain is perfectly fine usually, other than his poor memory. He doesn’t show any signs of half-insanity. I can rule out the possibility of him consuming the Vampire potion!

Mr. Azik has recalled quite a number of things recently... Could the Creeping Hunger have really stimulated his memories?

Klein nodded and continued reading the letter.

“Mutant isn’t the name of a particular species. It’s more like the description for many similar creatures. Under normal circumstances, they’re no different from an ordinary human, but there is an innate, suppressed, twisted desire in their hearts. This desire erupts when they come into contact with a certain scene or object. They become monsters, succumbing to their desires for blood and massacre.

“After everything settles, they will return to normal again. They become slightly more merciless and unfeeling after each time their desires erupt, this will continue until their souls are completely twisted.

“The only example of this that I can recall is the werewolf. They’re similar to humans for the most part, and they cannot be distinguished using most Beyonder abilities. But, during the full moon, the twisted desires in their hearts intensify, and their bodies also change accordingly.