Chapter 207 : Guardian

Dunn sighed.

“I did want to send you away back then since I was going to do something that involves the secrets of the Church and the Nighthawks. But Kenley’s death left my mind in chaos. At that moment, all I could think of was a clumsy excuse, thus, giving you the opportunity to witness what I was doing.”

“What secret is that?” Klein pressed, now being more at ease.

He had almost forgotten about the threat of the evil god’s son, or the existence of a legendary creature outside.

Dunn weighed his words and said, “There might be a law in mysticism. Heh, even though I haven’t read many books, I’m still aware of what a law means.

“This law is called ‘Law of Beyonder Characteristics Indestructibility.’

“The characteristics of a Beyonder is never destroyed or reduced. It’s only passed from one carrier to the next.”

Klein’s eyes opened wide. He suddenly came to a realization and asked thoughtfully, “For example, the Sealed Artifacts, mysterious objects, or a potion’s main ingredients that are left behind by Beyonders who have lost control?”

“Correct.” Dunn nodded solemnly. “This isn’t only the case for Beyonders who lose control; it’s also the same for normal Beyonders after they die.”

“The same...” Klein mulled over Dunn’s description, now having a faint idea of what the Captain was doing.

He suddenly recalled when the suited clown died. He recalled the blue, thumb-sized blood sphere that was suspended beside the corpse of the suited clown. Frye’s explanation had been that there would always be strange transformations after a Beyonder died.

Dunn continued with his deep gray eyes, “But what’s different about Beyonders who lose control is that a Beyonder who dies normally won’t leave behind ingredients or objects. Th-they’re equivalent to a potion, a potion that corresponds to their Sequences, except that they’re lacking a certain amount of supplementary ingredients.”

Equivalent to potions... Equivalent to potions! Klein squinted as a flash of inspiration went through his mind. The endless darkness in his mind was illuminated in that instant.

He suddenly understood many things, figuring out why the Beyonder pathways wouldn’t be broken, even if the creatures used as main ingredients were going extinct.

Apart from using substitutes, one could also simply use the remains of Beyonders!

That should also be the reason why they only handed out complete potions at the higher Sequences! Another reason is to prevent the formula from being revealed to people adept at divination or mediumship rituals... Many guesses went through Klein’s mind.

Dunn looked at the recreation room and explained in a deep voice, “A few years ago... Well... I can’t exactly remember just exactly how many years it was, but I wasn’t the Captain of the Nighthawks back then. I unexpectedly realized this problem, and after interacting with Daly, who had just become a Beyonder, I immediately sent a report to the Holy Cathedral. The Holy Cathedral told me to keep it a secret and gave me two choices. Heh heh, that’s also the reason why it’s me, and not Daly, who’s explaining this to you. Whoever exposes this is responsible for it.

“The first choice was to pretend to know nothing, just like a large number of Nighthawk Captains and Deacons, and allow the Holy Cathedral to continue dealing with the remains of Beyonders who died through normal means. The second was for them to give me a unique, simple ritual and the corresponding techniques. It would allow me to temporarily consume the items produced by the unique characteristics within a limited period of time. Well, this is only suitable for Sequences of the same pathway at my level or lower.