Chapter 233 : A Man Cannot Be Judged By His Looks

The more he thought about how a living person was playing cards with more than ten corpses in a dimly lit room into the night, the more his scalp tingled.

Klein suppressed his instinctive fear and looked at the pale face, the malicious brown eyes, and the man who was about twenty-eight years old that suffused madness. He pretended to be intimidated by the man’s dominance and took a step back. During this time, Kaspars left the room and closed the door.

The man asked in a deep voice, “You’re the one looking for a bodyguard?”

“... Yes.” Klein gulped deliberately.

The man’s strangeness made him feel fear, but it also brought him peace of mind.

The stronger the bodyguard, the safer he would be!

The pale-faced man in the black vest lifted his chin and asked, “Why are you looking for a bodyguard? How much are you willing to pay for this?”

Klein didn’t answer straight away. He thought for nearly twenty seconds before saying, “I’ll tell you the details of the mission first. Give me a price after you assess it. If I can pay for it, or if I have an item of equivalent value, we would have ourselves a deal. Otherwise, I can only give up and look for someone else.”

The fierce-looking man didn’t say a word. Instead, he nodded as a gesture for Klein to recount his story.

Klein deliberately looked at the zombies, treating them as normal card players. Then, he gave the man an inquisitive look saying: “Before I answer, do you want to kick these guys out of the room?”

“There’s no need for that,” the pale-faced man said in a deep voice.

Klein hesitated for a moment, then honestly said, “I offended a big shot who might have a country supporting him.”

The room suddenly turned still and silent. The man, who had a hint of madness and malice in his eyes, froze on the spot as if he had turned into a plaster statue.

After nearly a minute, he slowly said, “This mission is priceless.

“Get out.”

Ah? Klein didn’t manage to react until the man turned and walked back to the card table. Only then did he realize that there was no deal.

You played cards with a bunch of living corpses in the room and presented yourself as a person of high standing and strength. Yet, you were scared off just like that? You’re clearly a little crazy... Klein didn’t know whether to laugh or cry as he added, “The big shot doesn’t have that much freedom in Backlund.”

The man in the black vest ignored him and sat down again. The zombies began to hand out cards, look at their cards, and throw out chips.

Klein exhaled and backed out of the room only to see Kaspars Kalinin. He had been waiting outside with his brandy nose and hideous wound.

“We didn’t come to an arrangement.” Klein threw up his hands.

Kaspars didn’t show a look of surprise as he pondered for a few seconds before saying, “Did he request too high a price?”

“No, he finds the mission too difficult.” Klein didn’t hide the reason.

Kaspars frowned.

“Maric is the scariest person I know. He isn’t even afraid of bullets, and since he thinks the mission is difficult, I don’t think I can help you get in touch with other powerful people.”

“What a pity.” Klein sighed.

Kaspars clenched his right fist and struck his left chest.

“May the Storm be with you.”