Chapter 9: Homesickness

When the morning came I found Tobey and Leo both sleeping on the couch with the footrests sticking out. I smiled softly as I tried to be as quiet possible. I decided to fix a piece of toast, since I was already a little hungry. As soon as it popped up though, Leo started stirring.

"Hey, did you sleep well," I checked since he wandered over.

"Yeah, it wasn't as weird sitting up to sleep as I thought."

"Yeah, that's why I love that couch so much. It leans back just enough that you can actually sleep. Do you want anything to eat?"

"Nah, I'll probably leave as soon as Tobey gets up."

"Oh. Well, you're welcome to stay," I promised.

"Thanks, but I have a meeting I need to get to today," he explained.

"Yeah, I should probably go to the studio. It's not like I have to, but it's a good idea." I was struggling to act casual as I ached for him to stay.

When he left to use the bathroom that's when Tobey finally woke up. I smiled at him when he walked over.

"Do you want breakfast before you have to leave," I checked.

"I'll just have a piece of toast and a water. Where's Leo?" He was already scanning the kitchen and the living room behind him.

"He's using the bathroom right now. I'm sad you guys are leaving. It was nice having people over."

"Don't you have any other friends you can invite over?"

"Not really. I've been so busy with my career, and you have to be so careful about who you can trust, that I haven't been the most social. I'm not normally this comfortable around people I've just met anyway."

He nodded weakly before taking a sip of his water as he sat on a barstool.

"I hope I'll see you sometime soon," I expressed as he ate his food fairly quickly.

"Yeah, I hope so," he added. I didn't expect Leo to suddenly come from the hallway, appearing to be in a rush.

"Thanks for having us, Wendy. We'll see you around," the blonde hurriedly told me as he went out the door with his best friend in tow.

"See you." My voice was hushed, since they already left. I felt confused by how they suddenly departed. I peeked past my curtains in the kitchen to watch them exit the building. My heart jolted when they were swarmed by paparazzi. I grew scared how much the media possibly suspected, drawing all my drapes shut, and double checking the security system was functioning. I always had this fear they would burst into my apartment, or invade my privacy without my knowledge. I could feel myself shaking as I sat on the sofa, wishing desperately I had someone to call. I was even beginning to question my original plans to work in the studio.

I shakily dialed a number on my cordless phone, leaning my head against the armrest. There were quite a few rings before I heard the click.

"Hello," asked a familiar voice.

"Hello? Mom?"

"Wendy? How are you? How's Los Angeles," she kindly asked.

"It's okay, and I'm the same. I just wanted to hear your voice. It's nothing to worry about, but there was paparazzi in front of my building."

"Are they trying to hurt you?" Her tone had instantly grown serious as I shook my head.

"No, they were after Tobey Maguire and Leonardo DiCaprio. I met Leo recently when we were on the Johnny Carson show together, and we've become friends since. Tobey's his best friend, so that's where he comes in."